Amalgam Potentials Measured in Absence of Saliva - In 1952!

Keith P Walsh wrote, On 5/15/2008 1:57 PM:

Keith P Walsh can find the resolution to this problem by performing the a series of experiments and making the appropriate measurements...
--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

In my experience members of so-called "professional" bodies such as, for example, the American Dental Association like to presume that they are in a position to declare that metal amalgam dental fillings are "safe".
However, it is a simple matter to demonstrate that they are not in any such position at all.
Whether or not anyone agrees on exactly how they are generateded, it has been demonstrated experimentally that amalgam dental fillings generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts. See:
http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/dutch.htm
However, in spite of the fact that the resting potential of the human neurological synapse is only 70 millivolts, and in spite of the fact that in recent years technologists have developed extremely sensitive instruments which are able to measure neurological activity in the human body very accurately, it appears that experimental procedures to demonstrate whether or not it is possible to detect any difference between neurological activity in the vicinity of teeth with amalgam fillings and neurological activity in the vicinity of teeth without them have not been carried out.
Therefore from the scientific point of view the American Dental association is in no position to declare that, as far as it is possible to know, the electrical potentials generated by metal amalgam dental fillings do not dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads.
And for organisations like the American Dental Association (and the British Dental Association, and the Canadian Dental Association, and every other dental association under the sun which continues to endorse the use of amalgams) to justify their stance on amalgam THEY THEMSELVES bear the responsibility for demonstrating the results of these experiments.
The continued use of amalgam fillings is not scientifically justified otherwise.
Keith P Walsh
PS, remember that it isn't enough simply to say that "we've been getting away with it for nearly two hundred years now". That doesn't constitute a scientific argument. The widespread adoption of metal amalgams for use in restorative dentistry was quickly followed by the rise to prominence of psychiatric "medicine" in our societies. And as far as I am aware scientific investigations to establish the extent to which these two facts are linked by the relationship of cause and effect have not been carried out either. Do you know of any? Or are you just as ignorant as the rest of us?
Keith P Walsh wrote, On 5/14/2008 1:38 PM:

Keith, I guess I'm just as ignorant as the rest of us. Why don't you do the appropriate scientific investigation and then you can enlighten the rest of us...
--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

An excellent point Steve!
Do you think that the fact that the millions of people around the world now have resin fillings in their teeth without reporting any discomfort from them might indicate that our friend Robert had some of his resin fillings placed incorrectly?
You know, the quality of and confidence in composite resin ("white") fillings are now so far advanced that some countries (e.g. Sweden, Norway and now Denmark) have banned the use of mercury amalgams completely!
See "Amalgam ban causes a stir" at:
http://www.dentistry.co.uk/news/news_detail.php?id 2
Now, I appreciate that some of you Americans prefer to imagine that your own institutions are smarter than everyone else's. However, and with all due respect Steve, I think that this may have more to do with a greater propensity for arrogance than with any superior abilities in understanding, especially when it comes to explaining the electrical behavior of metal dental fillings.
Which brings me back to the topic of our thread. In recent years technologists have developed extremely sensitive instruments which are able to measure neurological activity in the human body very accurately. Do you know if experimental investigations have ever been carried out in order to detect whether or not there is any difference between neurological activity in the vicinity of teeth with amalgam fillings and neurological activity in the vicinity of teeth with resin composite fillings.
If not, then perhaps we would need to work fast to get them done before amalgam fillings are banned everywhere!
And wouldn't our friend Robert feel silly if it turned out he's having the electric batteries put back in his teeth?!
Keith P Walsh
PS, remeber that it has been demonstrated experimentally that amalgam dental fillings generate electrical potentials with magnitudes of up to 350 millivolts. See:
http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/dutch.htm
And the resting potential of the human neurological synapse is only 70 millivolts.
(And of course, according to messrs Schriever and Diamond, amalgam fillings are able to generate electrical potentials even when they are not in contact with any saliva.)