Electromagnetic Energy in Dental Amalgams

The absolute funniest part of the post is in the HEADER!
Re: Electromagnetic Energy in Dental Amalgams
If an amalgam is composed of matter, it contains electromagnetic
energy!
JOEL

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:24:07 +0000 (UTC), "John Chewter"

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
John Chewter wrote:
(snip)

    Hey--watch it with that fishing rod--you could take someone's eye out with that!
Steve
Did you know for each fish you catch there are 350 millivolts generated .........

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

But only in their amalgams ,,,,,, its best to get fish with composites instead .......... or crowns ......

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

Eel can pack quite a wallop .......

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
Keith P Walsh wrote:

http://www.goreelectronics.com/products/emi/Electromagnetic_Material_Character.html
Is there any particular reason you haven't gotten off your ass and done the necessary work yourself? If you insist on continuing to try to recruit others to your crusade, a little evidence would help.
Mark L. Fergerson

REPLY
This was the website that George Costanza did import for ... only import, no export .............

--
Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA

I've heard of people picking up radio in their fillings. If I were to pick up television, and it was a pay per view channel, how would they know to change me?
--

- Charles
-

Joel M. Eichen, .
Philadelphia PA
Now I was thinking about this...........
As I said before, the properties you want could be found in an afternoon. Its not a Roswell cover up. If you had these figures, what good would it do you? You could ask your local college to find them as a mini project.
Any effects would vary hugely according to the individual fillings, the patient and the phone.
Now........... Wire braces & wire in some bridges should worry you more...... You could get a lot more energy induced into those, and they are curved so marking part of a coil.

http://www.goreelectronics.com/products/emi/Electromagnetic_Material_Character.html
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:33:52 +0000 (UTC), "John Chewter"

I have this idea that if I were to find out what the permittivity, permeability and conductivity of dental amalgam are then I would be able to describe completely how electromagnetic energy behaves within that material.
See:
http://www.goreelectronics.com/products/emi/Electromagnetic_Material_Character.html
Then, if anyone ever told me that their amalgam fillings were causing unpleasant sensations when they used a cell phone, or that they had heard radio signals picked up by their fillings, or that their fillings were causing them headaches and that this might be something to do with their electromagnetic behavior, I would be able to explain to them with an appropriate degree of scientific authority how these things cannot happen.
Or otherwise.
As it is I, like everyone else, am ignorant of these properties.
However I, apparently unlike many others, do not agree that our ignorance in this matter is justifiable (because metal amalgam dental fillings are placed in children's teeth).

The inquiry with which I originated this thread was not restricted to the reported effects of cell phone signals only, but was also intended to include all the variety of electromagnetic sources which we are subjected to every day.
Keith P Walsh
PS, further enquiries concerning the electrical properties of dental amalgams can be found at:
http://book.boot.users.btopenworld.com/intro.htm

in general you are wrong. there are other properties that are also needed to describe electrical interaction with materials. there are several magnetic properties, more electric field properties, temperature dependence of various properties, and surface effects that you must also consider. that gore site is still a gross simplification of real world conditions... and even if you define all those effects what are you going to do with them??

Keith, what exactly where you doing when you had this revelation??
carabelli

http://www.goreelectronics.com/products/emi/Electromagnetic_Material_Charact er.html

You would also be able to construct a flux capacitor.
carabelli

http://www.goreelectronics.com/products/emi/Electromagnetic_Material_Charact er.html
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:15:18 +0000 (UTC), Keith P Walsh
That is your problem.
Please cure it somewhere else.
Look at this cure :
http://www.geocities.com/naturopathicmafia/Quackery.html
Regards,
Aribert Deckers
--
Die Noni-Connection : http://www.ariplex.com/ama/ama_wies.htm
http://www.ariplex.com/ama/ama_no15.htm http://www.ariplex.com/ama/ama_no12.htm

Utter hogwash.
You have been repeatedly told that making such measurments is not all that difficult and if you want the numbers go make the measurements.
You have not done so and appear incapable of doing so which would indicate you are also incapable of doing anything meaninful with the numbers, a much more complex problem.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:40:30 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@specsol-spam-sux.com wrote:

The Gore Electronics website appears to contradict you directly on this point.
It says:
"Testing the permittivity, conductivity, and permeability of materials can be a difficult task."(*)
I think that Dave ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com) is much nearer the mark when he says :
"there are other properties that are also needed to describe electrical interaction with materials. there are several magnetic properties, more electric field properties, temperature dependence of various properties, and surface effects that you must also consider. that gore site is still a gross simplification of real world conditions..." (see elsewhere in this thread)
His comments are actually borne out to some extent by the Gore website:
"Note that, for a given material, the electrical properties change under various conditions, such as frequency, temperature, humidity, and physical orientation to the electromagnetic field."(*)
I can add further possible complications.
Dental amalgams are not like other conductive metal alloys which might, for example, be used for EMI shielding applications in electronic equipment.
Amalgams are made differently.
True metal alloys are made by heating the constituent metals to temperatures in excess of their melting points, mixing the molten metals thoroughly, and then allowing the mixture to cool at a controlled rate.
Dental amalgams are made by mixing a metal which is a liquid at room temperature (mercury) with unheated grains of a solid metal alloy and allowing the mixture to harden at between room and body temperatures. Under this procedure a large percentage of the mass of the solid alloy grains remains completely unreacted with, or dissolved by, the liquid mercury - with the unreacted/dissilved particles measuring in the order of tens of micrometres across.
This results in a microstructure which is very different from that of true alloys.
There is a much greater degree of material inhomogenity in an amalgam.
And, as a result, you might expect a much greater variation in the electromagnetic response of such a material than in other materials which are more homogeneous.
Leastways, I for one remain confident in asserting that the only way to determine the electromagnetic responses of a typical dental amalgam accurately would be to measure them.
It might then be possible to explain with an appropriate level of scientific authority how the dissipation of energy from ordinary, everyday electromagnetic fields by an amalgam filling to its surroundings is not possible.
Or otherwise, of course.
Remember that amalgam fillings are placed in children's teeth.
Keith P Walsh
(*) http://www.goreelectronics.com/products/emi/Electromagnetic_Material_Character.html