Electromagnetic Energy in Dental Amalgams

SAVE THE CHILDREN !!!!!!!

Start your electrical propertis lab now.

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS !!!

Save the children, for God's sake, while there is still time!

Jim

Reply to
jbuch

The Gore Electr "Test "there are other properties that are also needed to describe electrical interaction with materials. there are several magnetic properties, more electric field properties, temperature dependence of various properties, and surface effects that you must also consider. that gore site is still a gross simplification of real world conditions..." (see elsewhere in this thread)

His comments are actually borne out to some extent by the Gore website:

"Note that, for a given material, the electrical properties change under various conditions, such as frequency, temperature, humidity, and physical orientation to the electromagnetic field."(*)

I can add further possible complications.

Dental amalgams are not like other conductive metal alloys which might, for example, be used for EMI shielding applications in electronic equipment.

Amalgams are made differently.

True metal alloys are made by heating the constituent metals to temperatures in excess of their melting points, mixing the molten metals thoroughly, and then allowing the mixture to cool at a controlled rate.

Dental amalgams are made by mixing a metal which is a liquid at room temperature (mercury) with unheated grains of a solid metal alloy and allowing the mixture to harden at between room and body temperatures. Under this procedure a large percentage of the mass of the solid alloy grains remains completely unreacted with, or dissolved by, the liquid mercury - with the unreacted/dissilved particles measuring in the order of tens of micrometres across.

This results in a microstructure which is very different from that of true alloys.

There is a much greater degree of material inhomogenity in an amalgam.

And, as a result, you might expect a much greater variation in the electromagnetic response of such a material than in other materials which are more homogeneous.

Leastways, I for one remain confident in asserting that the only way to determine the electromagnetic responses of a typical dental amalgam accurately would be to measure them.

It might then be possible to explain with an appropriate level of scientific authority how the dissipation of energy from ordinary, everyday electromagnetic fields by an amalgam filling to its surroundings is not possible.

Or otherwise, of course.

Remember that amalgam fillings are placed in children's teeth.

Keith P Walsh

(*)

Keith P Walsh

So, it sounds like you won't spend a little money to SAVE THE CHILDREN.

It is clearly more your style to try to shame others >

Reply to
jbuch

How would you know, you've never tried to do it and you never will.

If you believe you are so incompetent you can't make these simple measurements, send some money to Gore Electronics and I'm sure they will be glad to do it for you.

Remember, the children are counting on you to save them.

How would you know, you've never tried to do it and you never will.

How would you know, you've never tried to do it and you never will.

For all your rants only one temperature and condition is relevant, that of the human mouth which is damn constant.

Totally irrelevant; a material is a material; amalgam isn't magic.

Totally irrelevant; a material is a material; amalgam isn't magic.

Totally irrelevant; a material is a material; amalgam isn't magic.

Totally irrelevant; a material is a material; amalgam isn't magic.

Totally irrelevant; a material is a material; amalgam isn't magic.

Unless the structure is at least an eighth of a wavelength, totally irrelevant; a material is a material; amalgam isn't magic.

Unless the structure is at least an eighth of a wavelength, totally irrelevant; a material is a material; amalgam isn't magic.

So go ahead and measure them; no one else is going to do it for you.

The equipment to do so can be found cheaply on the surplus market or on E-bay. The techniques can be found in any number of books.

Get off your ass, shut up, and go make the measurements.

Not until you get off your ass and go make the measurements.

Remember the children are depending on you to save them; go get the equipment and make the measurements before it is too late.

jimp

There is a GenRad LCR bridge for $9.99 on Ebay right now.

Save the children!

Buy it now and make the measurements.

Remember, you must save the children!

Is $9.99 too much for you to spend to save the children?

Reply to
jimp

I think your contributions are getting sillier and sillier.

And I also think that you are missing the point.

It has been known for more than 160 years that when an electrical conductor moves in an electromagnetic field an electromotive force is induced in the conductor, and also that when a stationary electrical conductor is subjected to a varying electromagnetic field then an electromotive force is again induced in the conductor.

In order to establish whether or not the electromotive forces induced in metal amalgam dental fillings as a result of their electromagnetic behavior are able to dissipate electrical energy through the nerves in people's heads it should be necessary to carry out experimental investigations to demonstrate it one way or the other.

If you were able to think scientifically then you would recognise that such investigations should already have been carried out.

And the results should have been published.

And why?

Because metal amalgam dental fillings are placed in children's teeth.

That's why.

Keith P Walsh

PS, enquiries concerning the electrical properties of dental amalgams can be found at:

Keith P Walsh
350 millivolts? I guess that is why my refrigerator magnets always get stuck to my fillings .......

JOEL

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

Koombahyah. Save the farms first!

Then save the children .......

Willie Nelson lives ......

Reply to
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

I think YOU need something to think about.

Any induced field will be extraordinarily small., for reasons already discussed.

The magnetic effects will appoximate Gold and the electrical properties will be like Gold's poor brother.

In fact its a boring relatively passive material....... unless you consider the possibily of random semiconductor junctions formed within the material.

So go and worry about that for a while.

Reply to
John Chewter