nebulizer use for nano-particle production...

I recently got a solid state nebulizer for a medical application.

It is small, quiet, and quickly makes a dense fog of regular aqueous solutions.

It appears to make a monodisperse fog something like 2 microns in diameter at about 1m//min.

It stricks me that this would be a superb way of making small quantities of nanoparticles from anything that can be put into non-acidic solution.

Make the fog, dry, & calcine it as it is drawn through a tube.

I suppose people already do this?

The device I'm using is an AeroNeb nebuliser by AeroGen Inc.

Dave

Reply to
dmartin

This has been a common technique for 25 years or more. The usual method is to use monodisperse polystyrene latex spheres diluted in an water with a tiny, tiny quantity of very clean surfactant (e.g. Triton-X from Fisher Scientific). You have to keep the concentration down low enough that you don't get doubles--two PSL particles per drop. The surfactant helps with this.

Doing it from solutions is harder Because the dry particle diameter is the droplet diameter times the cube root of the volume concentration. The droplets aren't really monodisperse, so the particle diameter isn't either.

The same cube-root dependence means that in order to keep the "empties" from messing up your measurement, the water for the PSL suspension has to be very clean indeed--18 megohm deionized and oil-free. (1 ppm concentration == 1% diameter.)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs