Orange pigment

Dear all,

I'm looking for an orange pigment for an aerosol formulation. Binder : acrylic. Solvent : ketonics and acetates. Propellant : diethyl ether. We tried, first, a monoazoic orange 5 that didn't go well in such polar solvents. After a month @ 50°C, it became dark brown. We've got a pyrazolone orange 13 that behaves better in solvents, but has low UV resistance. We also have a benzimidazolone but the price is so huge that we didn't even try it.

My questions are twofold :

1 - Does anyone know where I can find a list of the chemical nature of pigment related with their colour index ? 2 - Does someone think of a particular orange pigment, with a strong shade, near the red, so that we can formulate it to get a RAL 2009 ? ... at a price lower than 20-30?/kg ?

Thank you in advance.

Nicolas DELFAU Peintures SOB FRANCE Tél : (+33)5.65.38.60.20 e-mail : snipped-for-privacy@peintures-sob.fr

Reply to
Nicolas DELFAU
1) Pigments are colored because of the long chain conjugations (alternating double/single bonds) within their molecules. The longer the conjugation, the longer the absorption wavelength. The bonding atoms are generally carbon and/or nitrogen in their various combinations.

2) Don't be too quick to rule out pigments based on price alone, as a higher coloring power could help reduce the cost of pigment per unit.

Lean on your suppliers heavily for their help with this. Is a red/yellow combination possible?

John Aspen Research -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek