Orange pigment

Dear all,
I'm looking for an orange pigment for an aerosol formulation. Binder :
acrylic. Solvent : ketonics and acetates. Propellant : diethyl ether.
We tried, first, a monoazoic orange 5 that didn't go well in such polar
solvents. After a month @ 50°C, it became dark brown.
We've got a pyrazolone orange 13 that behaves better in solvents, but has
low UV resistance.
We also have a benzimidazolone but the price is so huge that we didn't even
try it.
My questions are twofold :
1 - Does anyone know where I can find a list of the chemical nature of
pigment related with their colour index ?
2 - Does someone think of a particular orange pigment, with a strong shade,
near the red, so that we can formulate it to get a RAL 2009 ? ... at a price
lower than 20-30?/kg ?
Thank you in advance.
Nicolas DELFAU
Peintures SOB
FRANCE
Tél : (+33)5.65.38.60.20
e-mail : snipped-for-privacy@peintures-sob.fr
Reply to
Nicolas DELFAU
1) Pigments are colored because of the long chain conjugations (alternating double/single bonds) within their molecules. The longer the conjugation, the longer the absorption wavelength. The bonding atoms are generally carbon and/or nitrogen in their various combinations.
2) Don't be too quick to rule out pigments based on price alone, as a higher coloring power could help reduce the cost of pigment per unit.
Lean on your suppliers heavily for their help with this. Is a red/yellow combination possible?
John Aspen Research -
"Turning Questions into Answers"
john.spevacek
Try DPP Orange RA from Ciba. Its an organic orange with exceptional weathering characteristics in masstone strength. Used widely in automotive applications.
Reply to
Me

Site Timeline