Rick Smalley dies

Professor Richard E. Smalley of Rice University died yesterday
afternoon in Houston. He shared the 1996 Nobel Prize for Chemistry for
the discovery of C60 "buckyballs," and was a leader in research on
carbon nanotubes and their applications.

I had admired Rick Smalley's work for years, but met him only last
spring. We were collaborating on an article about long-term global
energy needs, a subject he approached with extraordinary insight and
intensity. He will be sorely missed.
Reply to
Monte Davis