Solid Metal Induced Embrittlement

Hmmn, apologies if this has appeared previously, but for some reason my reader seems to think that it disappeared into the electronic aether, and Google couldn't find a record of it in archive.

I've checked through the latest issue of the ASM Handbook Volume 13A, Corrosion: Fundamentals, Testing, and Protection, but would appreciate any other contributions.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards,

Pete

------------- Peter J Gibs> Gents,

does anyone have any hard test data regarding Solid Metal Induced > Embrittlement, specifically with respect to the effect of Cadmium on > Titanium? > > Google provided plenty of "don't even think about it", however I > cannot find any actual hard information? > > The usual Mil-Specs/Mil-Hdbks gave conflicting information relating to > situations where Cadmium may cause embrittlement > e.g. > > Mil-Hdbk-697 states "...in the case of titanium alloys, molten > cadmium will cause cracking..." (ie above 250°C/450°F) > Mil-Std-889 states "...Cadmium coating is prohibited on Titanium..." > Mil-S-5002 states "...under certain conditions, titanium can be > embrittled by contacting cadmium or silver components. Embrittlement > has been determined to occur in cadmium plated titanium parts at > temperatures as low as 150°F..." > Mil-Hdbk-1568 states "... Titanium parts shall not be cadmium or > silver plated. Cadmium plated clamps, tools, fixtures and jigs shall > not be used for fabrication or assembly of titanium components or > structures." > > Presumably someone must have done some extensive studies into the > effect of SMIE of Cd/Ti? Are the results of these studies available > in the Public Domain, or are they purchasable? > > Is there any place where there are details regarding diffusion > constants and/or critical pressure/stress concentrations or time > dependencies? > > Any pointers gratefully received. > > Cheers, > > Peter > ;o)
Reply to
Peter J Gibson

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Peter:

A quick look in Compendex (Engineering Index)at my friendly local public library turned up a couple of older relevant papers in the Corrosion journal. Get ?em at your local engineering library, or order hard copies from NACE at

Don't ever just depend on google. Not verything good is free, and not everything free is good for finding older information.

1) D. N. Fager & W. F. Spurr, "Solid Cadmium Embrittlement. Titanium Alloys", Corrosion, Vol. 26 No. 10, Oct. 1970, pages 409-419

2) R. E. Stolz & R. H. Stulen, "Solid Metal Embrittlement of Ti-6Al-6V-2Sn by Cadmium, Silver, and Gold" Corrosion, Vol. 35, No. 4, April 1979, pages 165-169.

Both conclude in the abstracts that solid cadmium embrittles with kinetics controlled via surface diffusion.

1) says embrittlement goes from room temperature to the melting point in Ti-6Al-4V and Ti-8Al-1Mo-1V

DISCLAIMER

We don't believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Don't worry, be happy.

Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete