Latest threads in ⚗ Material Sciences show only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Extreme DIY: Building a homemade nuclear reactor
This will keep keep the scientists at Lawrence Livermore busy debunking claims as crazy as cold fusion. Someone needs to tell these people, as the cold fusionists should have been told from the get...
1
1

Volta's Frog's Leg Experiment - Electrolysis or Thermoelectricity?
Many people appear to presume that the muscular convulsions induced in dissected frog's legs by Alessandro Volta (see using dissimilar metal rods must be caused by some form of electrolytic reaction....
33
33

resin instead of resorcinol-formaldehye.?
Hi all, I try to imitate physical properties such as good adhesion of resorcinol formaldehyde resin to polyester textiles? Is there any resin that you know adhere like RF to polyester? It should be...

How to identify types of plastics?
I want to do some plastic welding using hot air tool. I have rods for several types of plastic. My problem is that the target item that I want to weld is not always marked with an identifying number....
1
1

welding & materials knowledge
Dear All if you need information about materials and welding, please visit the link below

Artificial Reflective Duckweed for Swimming Pools
This would certainly be the cheapest way to get the pool temperature down a few degrees. The "duckweed" must be something like cheap mylar plastic disks that spread out by themselves with very little...
4
4

How to get PE out of beaker corners?
Hello gents, Is there a solvent or acid anyone can recommend for getting solidified polyethylene out of the corners of glass beakers? Scraping it out with a long sharp instrument is tedious and...
2
2

EC-funded Research Visits: Application Deadline 15/09/2010
**Apologies for any cross-posting** Dear colleagues - ------------------------------------------------------------ HPC-Europa2 Call for Applicants: deadline 15 September 2010 deadline for applications...

Rare Example of Instrumented Bldg Damaged During During An Earthquake
interesting questions: Why aren't they instrumenting bldgs today with relatively cheap MEM accelerometers? Who decided to spend the equivalent of 200K on force balance accelerometers and other...
3
3

Problem with magnetron sputtering of SiO2
Hello All, Recently I am trying to produce SiO2 thin film using magnetron sputter method. I am using the Torus sputter gun from Lesker. Due to other reasons a reactive sputtering is not possible and...

Yes, of course, amalgams are alloys
Yet again Keith P. Walsh has been a source of ignorance and confusion. He contends that an alloy should be narrowly defined as: "A homogeneous mixture or solid solution of two or more metals, the...
3
3

Passive Earthquake Proofing w/ Dry Stone
"People of Inca civilization were masters of the polished dry-stone walls, called ashlar, where blocks of stone were cut to fit together tightly without any mortar. . . . "Peru is a highly seismic...
5
5

how can calculate matirial for cement concrate in money and volium..?
dear friend, i want calulate matirial.. of all running greade,as per IS 456 . for example CC- M-25. 1:1:2 1 CEMENT: 1 SAND: 2 20MM AGGT STONE IF CEMENT RATE PER BAG-210 UNIT SAND RATE 600 UNIT PER 100...

World's Largest Wheatstone Bridge
String a wire back and forth across / along a fault line to measure very small displacements in the earth's surface. If the resistance and/or tensile strength needs to be higher than a common single...
40
40

EC-funded Research Visits: Application Deadline 15/05/2010
**Apologies for any cross-posting** Dear colleagues - ------------------------------------------------------------ HPC-Europa2 Call for Applicants: deadline 15 May 2010...