Rare Example of Instrumented Bldg Damaged During During An Earthquake

http://www.usc.edu/dept/civil_eng/Earthquake_eng/Selected_Publ/PDF/ICS_Paper_II.pdf
Two interesting questions:
Why aren't they instrumenting bldgs today with relatively cheap MEM
accelerometers?
Who decided to spend the equivalent of 200K on force balance accelerometers and other electronics 40 years ago for a public bldg out in the desert?
Bret Cahill

Hey, it's in Kalifornia! They've got money to burn out there. They not only give it to our poor but they just encourage ANYBODY from ANYWHERE to walk in and take it from the rich Gringos. Consider the money spent on instrumenting some community building as some that wasn't wasted for a change.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/civil_eng/Earthquake_eng/Selected_Publ/PDF/ICS_Paper_II.pdf
Because it is a dumb idea on many, many levels.

If you had read your own link you would know that.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Someone in coastal California pretty much knew the building was coming down.
"Hey, the hayseeds out in Imperial Valley just build this county services bldg. that cannot survive a 6.0. WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY! We'll instrument it and find out what happens to the frequency response of RC structures during an earthquake . . ."
Bret Cahill