looking for small steel square tubing source

I am looking for source(online or otherwise) small(less than 1/2") steel or aluminum square tubing. The smallest tubing most sources have is 1/2" which is too much for my
application.
BTW: I am in San Francisco Bay Area.

or
Check out your local hobby stores, the ones that cater to model railroaders and such.......Safe bet they will probly have brass, I dunno about steel or aluminum.
Good luck.
--
SVL

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 06:21:19 GMT, in sci.engr.mech "Alex"

Take a look at Small Parts, Inc. http://www.smallparts.com /

or
We used to get special brass profiles (they have square tubing too) from these guys:
http://www.specialshapes.com /
I'm not sure where you'd find steel or aluminum square tubes that small. PrecisionMachinist's suggestion of local hobby stores is a good one for small quantities.
Cheers,
--Mitch

Why don't you hire a freelance contract designer or engineer for your job? Probably not very expensive to do. Just curious; you seem to be using these three newsgroups to do simple design for you.
And you can probably use the Thomas Register or your local business yellow pages and the phone to locate suppliers ...
--
Cliff

Maybe he has fun doing it?
--
Cheers,

--Mitch
Cliff Huprich wrote:

.
Probably come in over budget, unmanufacturable, and late.
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

or

Good for you. This is a good place to learn.

Righty O. You made a legit request. Don't mind the naysayers.

Alex, You have started what looks like ~22 threads in 3 crossposted newsgroups asking about the design of your little gizmo and it's parts and for local suppliers over the last month or so. While many of the comments are no doubt of great value a real designer could probably help you a lot, IMHO, and at a lesser total cost in the end. IF you are serious about your unknown secret project/product/design. You might even be able to find someone local (San Francisco IIRC) that needs a bit of side work and will sign a confidentiality agreement.
HTH
--
Cliff

someone
Well, we would hope you would'nt hire an un-professional designer. :)
You want fries with that?
Sorry, I couldnt resist. <g>
Bing

Hey, I resemble that comment. I'm an un-professional designer (shorts, t-shirt, and sneakers). Or at least I was for a while. Lately I've been dressing up and going to a "real" job every day. Wingtips even.

Thats not un-professional, thats called casual designing. :)
Bing
Alex wrote:

Cole Fox Hardware on 4th Street, has small square tubing in Aluminum and Brass. It is in the basement in a section where they have a bunch of small dimensioned tubung, rod and sheet for hobby supplies.
Another source is Small Parts in Florida, (http://www.smallparts.com ) 800-220-4242 I buy stainless steel tube from them regularly.
They have a very large selection of small tubing. They carry telescoping square Aluminum from 3/32" to 1/4", and square telescoping Brass from 1/16" to 1/4" and in thin and heavy walls from 1/4" to 3/4"
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

or
This is for swing arm. Very similar to the one on a desk lamp.

Alex wrote:

For a prototype?... there's always scrounging. Discarded desklamps for example. Go for a long walk on trash night.
--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

steel
your single best source for prototyping materials of all kinds is www.mcmaster.com