Mechanical failures reliability data

I wonder if someone has some reliably data and jurisprudence concerning broken cam shaft on sailboat diesel engine. I have never seen a cam shaft to snap under normal load. The cam shaft on my 1GM Yanmar broke in two pieces. Being a drop forged casting it requires a fantastic impact to break in two. Unless it is from an original hair line crack at fabrication that was not detected at the time

Reply to
Denis Marier

I once had an engine which snapped two camshafts... The cam ran in three bearings, which where part of the cylinder head. The engine had overheated, and blown a head gasket, the cylinder head was re machined to correct any warping.... Unfortunately this left the camshaft bearings slightly out of alignment, which imposed a rotating load on the shaft. The camshafts fitted to the head lasted about 100 hours before they suffered a fatigue failure.

Check your bearing alignment ??

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Thanks for your information. The figure of about hundred hours appears to fit the situation.

Reply to
Denis Marier

> > I wonder if someone has some reliably data and jurisprudence concerning

Unless you have proof that rules out other possiblities such as a preexisting embeded falw/crack you don't have much of a chance. Also, you may have to prove negligence on the engine rebuilder. Not likely..

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson