Relationship between Von-mieses stress and chip breakage

I am doing thesis in setting up fracture criterion for Ck45 using deform software.I want to know whether any mathematical relationship between von-miese stress and chip breakage initation?.Is there any way to calculate the chip breakage initiation?.

Reply to
shamsulhaq

Stress normal to the crack is more relevant for mode I fracture. Look up stress intensity factors (K).

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

A Ck45? That's a chip? A little more information might be in order.

There's certainly a relationship between stress and breaking, but it's mostly dependant on the material properties.

Dave

Reply to
David Harper