The Big Question: MS or PhD Degree?

Hi all,

You all seem like intelligent folks, so I am hoping I can get your opinions one way or the other on stopping school with a MS degree or taking the dive and going for the PhD in Mech. Eng. I ask for your thoughts because I have been thinking about this dilemma for some time with no clear answers. It is my understanding that the MS degree is more flexible, yet the PhD gives you freedom of thought. Each degree has its pros ans cons which brings up the great debate! So, I open the floor to your comments.

Reply to
carrie&scott

A PhD is mainly for professors and research type work. If you want to work in more normal areas in industry or gov, a Master degree is fine.

Someone could work for a time after getting a MS degree before possibly starting on a PhD degree (full time or part time).

Reply to
Jeff Finlayson

Dear carrie&scott:

What do you want to do? Make things, or instruct? If you find the PhD is necessary, you can always go back and get it later. Personally, I wanted to make things dance.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

It depends on what you are planning to do in your career. PhD's are mostly for professors and research types. If you want to design and build, your best bet is to get out in the work force and start working. The best experience is practical experience, and you can always get your employer to pay for an M.S. later. That way you won't even have to do a formal M.S. requiring a thesis, which is a major P.I.T.A. Believe me, this is talking from experience, as I went straight from my Bachelor's to a M.S. degree. I have learned so much more job applicable lessons by doing, rather than sitting in the classroom. Remember most of the people that are teaching you in college have absolutely no practical experience in the workforce. They are great at teaching you the theory, but are very ill prepared to teach you lessons you will learn from your fellow engineers in the work place by working together to complete projects.

Reply to
Mike D