CVD coating Ni-TiN-Al2O3

Hi everybody,
Please share experience on: Can I coat Al2O3 on top of TiN coated Ni substrate? I tried two times and the result looked completely bad.
My problem is that at the same time I am not sure if my machine is working correctly or not. So I could not decide, was it because of the machine or because of the difficulties for such coatings.
Thnx alot & bstrgds
hua