Death - Professor Bernarr Hopkins (Hoppie)

It is with great regret that I must announce the death of my good friend and neighbour Bernarr Eugen Hopkins of Farnborough Hampshire, in the early hours of Monday 14th June 2004, after a short respiratory illness. He passed away in a Devon hospital after a 24 hour stay, whilst in the area to attend a family event. He recently celebrated his 85th birthday.

It is understood that all immediate family, comprising chiefly nieces and nephews, has been informed.

Bernarr, Hoppie to many of his colleagues, had a highly successful career as a Metallurgist including time with Mond Nickel, the UK Scientific Mission to Washington, as Visiting Professor to the Ohio State University, and with the UK National Physical Laboratory (NPL), from which he retired in 1979. He always claimed "low (carbon) alloy steels" and "high purity iron" to be the main topic areas of his working life, though I'm sure he contributed in other areas of his chosen science. His work earned him an OBE and the Imperial Service Order (ISO).

Until very recently Bernarr maintained a keen interest in all matters scientific, and current affairs. Those who knew him will recall his immense appreciation of the contribution of others to science and society. A conversation with Bernarr would invariably include an accolade, in his kindly south Wales accent, to someone - ranging from public figures to local people. He would always compliment youngsters, in whom he recognised the future of the world. He disliked extremists, favouring instead any champion of moderate views regardless of political party.

Friend and ex-colleague Mr. Morris Day is in the process of compiling a more complete obituary.

The purpose of this post is to inform anyone who knew Bernarr, and who might not receive the UK national press or appropriate professional publications. Might I ask that readers pass on this news to any potential ex-colleagues/acquaintances. These will chiefly be members of the organisations mentioned above, from the 1940s to 1979. Mr. Day is particularly concerned that there are several people in the USA who might not be informed by other means.

************************************** ajfwhoopsurn-att-ntlworld-dott-com Remove "whoops" and replace "att"/"dott" to reply **************************************
Reply to
Adrian van Vliet