Looking for an illustrated book about metallurgy

Hello,
I'd like to get a book about metallurgy as a gift for a teenager.
Ideally it would be one of those "how things work" books that
has some technical stuff and a lot of pictures. Actually it
could even have a lot of technical stuff if it also has a lot
of pictures.
It seems like metallurgy would be a great topic for a popular,
illustrated book -- lots of dramatic pictures of Bessemer
converters, forges, blast furnaces, & so on. Anyway if you
have some title you can suggest I'd be interested to hear about it.
Western Larch
Reply to
Western Larch
Larch:
You might try some web sites first. There are some videoclips on ironmaking and steelmaking at
on the buttons on the bottom of the page, load and view them.
One possibility is a book on materials science by the science writer Ivan Amato called Stuff (the materials the world is made of), Basic Books, 1997. Amazon has some used copies.
How old and how serious is the teenager? Another possibility is a community college level textbook by Kenneth G. Budinski called ENGINEERING MATERIALS: Properties and Selection (Sixth edition), 1999. It has been remaindered and can be bought brand new for $14.95 plus shipping at

Pittsburgh Pete
Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete
It's not really metallurgy per se, but "Structure, or Why Things Don't Fall Down" and "The New Science of Strong Materials, or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor", both by J.E. Gordon, are two really good books on material science and engineering, and are very easy to read. I wish somebody had handed them to me when I was a teenager.
Dave Palmer
Reply to
Dave Palmer

Site Timeline