Re: Asking the experts - Material selection for tongs

I am designing a machine with a pair of tongs that will be used to

> stretch a grommet. It's very similar to the nose of long, thin needle > nose pliers. The individual tongs are designed as follows: > > - 1.6" in length, protruding from a block of metal (the base will be > connected to a gripper, and the base and tong are one piece, 2 of > which are required). > - Each tong is a semi circle, so together they make a complete circle > when closed. > - From the base of the tong (the top of the block) up, here is what it > looks like: > -- .115 radius section protrudes up for .86" > -- 3 deg. taper from .86" to about 1" > -- .107 radius (the radius at the top of the taper) from 1" to > about 1.37" > -- A conical nose with a 20 deg. taper at the end (from 1.37" to > 1.6") > -- Each sharp edge broken (radiused) > -- .0625 radius at base of tong > > I will be loading this thing about 30 times per minute with the > following cycle: > > - Apply ~25 lbs (each tong) distributed along the tong, with 25% of > the total force applied in the first half of the tong and 75% applied > in the second have of the tong, which would be the tip end (this is > the act of opening the tongs to stretch the grommet. The force > deflects the tongs towards each other. > > - Hold for .5 seconds while inserting a .110" object between the > tongs. > > - Grip the .110" object with ~20 lbs of total force (10 lbs per tong). > This will most likely cause the bottom of the tongs to touch, or > almost touch, while the tips of the tongs are separated by the .110" > distance, therefore they are declected away from each other. > > Now, to make the picture a little clearer, the .110" object is a lead > wire that I am pulling through the grommet (that's the reason for > stretching it). > > On to the reason for polling the experts: > > As you can see, this is a tough application. I need to balance > stiffness and resistance to breaking and fatigue. In essence, I am > bending this thing back and forth like one might do to break a > paperclip! > > I cannot make the tongs beefier because of geometric issues with the > grommet. So the dimensions are fixed. The only variable is the > material. If it is too flexible, the tip of the tongs will not open > enough or perhaps not apply the 20 lbs of force when closing before > reaching the maximum deflection (when the bottom of the tongs touch). > If it is too stiff and brittle, it will break. What material do you > guys recommend? I need this to cycle at least 1,000,000 times before > failing. > > Thanks in advance for any help. I have some ideas, and have gotten > some from colleagues. We are thinking perhaps 1095 or 4140 steel, > hardened to about 42 RC. I have tried with Crucible CPM 10V material, > but it was too brittle (really a terrible material selection, I didn't > realize the forces were so high). It failed after about 20,000 cycles. > > My guess is that there is some material out there that will perform > really well in this application, but do not know what that material > is! > > TIA. > > - Luther

Hi, for your highly stressed application may I suggest that you discuss the applicability of Ultra High Strength Steel, with the technical support of manufacturers like the following:

Best regards,

Elia Levi