Vasco Die and Wear steel

I thank all who have offered their assistance thus far in my materials
search. I am having a hard time finding information regarding "Vasco
Die" and "Vasco Wear" steel. I have done numerous searches and found
very little. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and as always
thank you for your help :-D
Reply to
Clue
I've only seen this stuff mentioned in Jim Hrisoulas knifesmithing books, "The Master Bladesmith"
Three excellent books BTW, especially the one on pattern welding.
His opinion is that it's (Vasco Wear) a hard job to work it, but worth the trouble. It needs to be worked hot, as it's superhard to work once hardened.
C 1.12 % Si 1.2 % Mn 0.30 % W 1.10 % Cr 7.75 % Mo 1.6 % V 2.4 %
High wear resistance and toughness Medium red-hardness for forging Low distortion when heat treated Forge at 1800 - 1900 °F May be austenite forged Harden at 1550 - 1600 °F and oil quench Temper at 300 - 500 °F to a hardness of 62 - 58 Rc
Andy Dingley
We have some technical data sheets on these grades. These sheets were developed back in the days of Vanadium Alloy Steel Company (VASCO) was around. Provide me with a mailing address, off group, and I will send what I have to you.
Regards,
Greg
E mail: snipped-for-privacy@met-sol.com
Reply to