115 pc drill sets a waste?

Well, yes. Mostly. LOL. People have started finding me though. Its kind of gratifying when a buddy asks me to show him a solution to a problem, its better than the "pro" shop (not that there are many here) and he's floored (in a good way) when I tell him I'll make it for the same price.

But yeah. I am a hobbyist, and it probably is worth my time to sort them out. Atleast my time as a machinist. If I have the time. I run a contracting company, fish, and play in the shop, and of course now the wife wants some custom metal fences done in the back yard. I tried to convice here it was worth me getting some fancy new metal bending stuff, but then she decided she wanted cheaper fences. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Not that I've noticed in the set I have unless it is by a couple tenths. (HSS, bright, Made in USA.)

Reply to
BQ340

BQ340 fired this volley in news:4d8942b4$0$23134 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

You didn't say what you paid for the set, but if you do any (read that as _ANY_) press fits or shrink fits, you'd notice in a big hurry.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes, I said: "bought the Enco $100 118 degree set a couple of years ago"

You may be correct about a press fit. I was taught to drill undersize & ream, I did not know you could drill them directly.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

BQ340 fired this volley in news:4d8949db$0$23115 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

You certainly can't drill directly on large diameters (say, over .25"), but you can with smaller bits and a good, low TIR chuck -- IF the bits are well-sized and properly ground.

I've had multiple sets of both the inexpensive "made in USA" and Chinese

115 bit sets, and ultimately they always dissapoint. FWIW, the usual flaw the the low-cost USA brands is mis-grinding, not Chinalloy hardening or tempering, or under-sized/oversized drill stock. Hell, I've had offshore sets where adjacent sizes in the index were exactly the same size! (AND mis-ground!)

I even followed the (good) advice of "buy cheap, then replace the ones you use with good bits", but inevitably ended up screwing up some expensive work with the _next_ cheap bit I used. So I eventually broke down and sprung for a _really_good_ set, and haven't looked back. (and yeah... I still bugger one up now and then, but I buy the replacements from the same source). Just one messed-up part 60% into the job is justification for the price.

LLoyd

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lloyd, this Shars one, seems to be different.

Ignoramus6593

[ ... ]

My own preference is for the 135 degree angle, which usually includes a split point -- does not walk on starting on a slight angle, unlike the chisel points with the 118 degree points. I even was able to drill a cross hole in a 5/16" round shaft (for a roller for the garage door tracks) to install a cotter pin using a hand held electric drill motor with it still in the garage door. No way I would have been able to do that without a spotting drill first with the 118 degree chisel points.

The split point also means that you need a lot less force to drill reasonably than with a chisel point.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've seen one with one of the two flutes ground with a negative clearance angle on the tip. :-)

And the index that these come is is a real pain to use compared to a real HUOT index.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Ooof! Sorry.

If you log on to

search for their part numbers:

309-0012 309-0013 309-0014 309-0015 240-5943

You will see what I'm on about. Highly recommended. It is on page 57 of their current web catalog. Top right corner.

I tried again. Perhaps these will work better.

?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=951032&PMAKA=309-0013
?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=951202&PMAKA=309-0015

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Mea culpa, DoN.

See also my corrected reply to PrecisionmachinisT

?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=951032&PMAKA=309-0013
?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=951202&PMAKA=309-0015

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

As for Chinalloy -- I had a set perhaps around 1962 or so of bits from Japan before good tools started coming from there. Butter steel. Terrible -- a set of 1/16" to 1/4" in a little index with a clear plastic front panel in the index.

The 115 piece bit set which I got, while marked "Made in USA" on the flyer, was over $200.00 perhaps ten years ago or more, and was (and still is) a very good set (from MSC, FWIW).

Had I known then what I know now, I would have paid extra for the 135 degree split point set. I've got a set of semi "Silver & Deming" fractional bits with split points -- and no shank larger than

3/8" even with the largest bit size being 1/2". Index is painted bright yellow, and I picked them up at a yard sale. Not cheap, but good quality steel and well sharpened. (No, I would not have paid that for a similar set of 118 degree points. :-)

I've also got a set of cobalt steel number (wire sized) bits in screw machine length with the 135 degree split points. I'm quite pleased with these.

I tried that with a cheap set of metric bits -- and quickly gave them away after looking at the grind -- and experiencing the index, which was terrible. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

O.K. Still not enough income to justify the expensive solution.

I am likely to do this sort of thing while watching news on the TV, or reading (but not replying to) these newsgroup postings. Or -- while waiting for the little CNC lathe to tell me it is ready for the next tool or the next workpiece.

Mine *knows* that any project involves purchasing tools. She even helps me when I am working on our car -- by handing me tools while I am under the car or whatever. She's even gotten to the point where she anticipates the next tool some of the time. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

But don't reamers cost a fortune?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise fired this volley in news:imc5hd$6sa $ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

They aren't free, new. But I picked up nearly a shoebox full of assorted decimal sizes - all in hot-dip - from .25" through just under 3/4" from a garage sale for $25. You'll see decent ones around occasionally.

Still, a straight-flute chucking reamer in .785" (which happens to be the common size for one of the tools I make a lot of ) only costs about $30, and lasts for many, many holes if it's treated properly.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I thought that 135° bits would walk more, especially when hand-held. What am I missing?

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------

F. George McDuffee wrote:

spaco

spaco top-posted:

I'd also like to know. Doesn't a center-punch (or center drill, on a mill) help with that? Have you found drill bits to walk in an ordinary drill press?

I'd have thought that the 135 degree bit would be applicable for a more aggressive cut than a 115, or maybe it simply has to do with what you want the bottom of the hole to look like, but I simply don't know.

Thanks, Rich

Rich Grise

O.K. Sort of what I expected. I find one line in the first one interesting:

====================================================================== Number of Drawers: 3.000 ======================================================================

They could offer some with an increment of 0.001 drawer? :-)

Same applies to all of the above.

I had to go to the catalog page to see the images.

A little too expensive for me. I keep envelopes of the various sized drills in order in a storage bin -- except for the two sizes of left-hand drill bits, which are stored where I have to remember to look for them to avoid accidental use. My drill presses don't have reverse available, just the hand held electric and pneumatic drill motors.

Yes -- those actually work. But the catalog numbers and the main catalog URL were sufficient. And easy enough to go from one to the next with the "find it" near top center of each page.

Interesting that they only list 0.5 mm size steps for the metric drill bits. I've got two HUOT metric drill indexes with 0.1 mm steps. I guess that Huot makes the dispensers in 0.1mm size steps too.

I like the #1 - #80 dispenser (the most expensive one listed there.)

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

=========== Much depends on the type of work you are doing.

"Complete" sets are indeed expensive, but normally you only need a few sizes. It can be useful to get three reamers, one undersize, one on size and one over size in your common sizes. Most any good mill supply should have in stock, but for illustration see

Depending on your shop practices/equipment, a useful reamer modification is the trimming the reamer length to about the same length as a jobber or even s/m length drill in the same size as this will allow you to drill and ream a hole in the same set-up with out losing alignment cranking the table down or head up for clearance, moving the table to change tools, etc.

Unless you have a heat problem, the invention of loc-tite eliminated much of the need for press fits and very tight hole tolerances.

If you have the time you can also make your own reamers, and these are easy to sharpen. see

I have all three Lautard's books -- all are good reads and well worth the money.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

(...)

An accurate *and* precise description; people still complain. :)

(...)

One bonus of the drawers is that after I retrieve a bit, I can take one of it's mates and prop it up as a marker so that I can put the bit back in the proper bin quickly.

(...)

Penn Tool is a little cheaper for that part:

That is a nice one. I have it's little brother (#1 - #60) and the fractional dispenser. Both are real time savers.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Thanks for this. Like I've said, I'm just the draftsman, but I was asking how I should dimension a slip-fit, and a couple of real machinists told me, "Oh, just say "slip-fit to so-and-so," and we'll figure it out." That took off a lot of pressure. :-)

Thanks again, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise