115 pc drill sets a waste?

Who has that many doors? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, like me. I don't make any $ anyway. Actually don't try. However I was miking a spilled 115 piece cheap HSS Enco Chinese set in a useless 30 ga. box. (Someone will probably tell me there's no such thing as

30ga. tin, but they haven't seen my case.) I found that most all were ~ 0.005 undersize. so for the hell of it I miked some older US made drills. They mostly came out to be 0.001=94 to 0.003=94 under. None > 0.003" under. Comments? JD
Reply to
jay

[ ... ]

With a full load of bits, I would expect it to crumple in the middle if you picked it up by the ends. :-)

Where were you Micing the bits? They normally taper a little being made widest at the tip -- so they don't drag on the sides as much in a deep hole. If you mike at the shank, there is no certainty how much smaller they will be -- but they are unlikely to be larger at the shank, unless they are really weirdly constructed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols