1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

This is a well cared for capri with original working sails with covers, 6 hp evinrude ob with spare ob for parts, hand held vhf, and heavy duty single axle shoreline galv. trailer. Cabin has original cushions, port-poddy, ice chest and cabin lighting, but no battery. There is a plethora of odds and ends all boaters need. The boat has a fresh coat of bottom paint, loaded on the trailer and ready to go. Clear title and current trailer registration. $4100.00 obo no low ballers or tire kickers. payment in cash preferred, Personal checks or bank money orders will be accepted, but must clear my bank before pickup.

Gunner Asch

Na, can't catch fish worth a dang with that. here's my dream:

Of course SWMBO won't give me a pass for that much $.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Gee Gunner, sounds like a real bargain.

Lets see... 2014 - 1986... "Original Sails" means 28 year old sails, and possibly an equally old outboard, which even with another broken motor to salvage parts from is not a bargain and antique cushions, ice chest and lighting, doesn't sound like a bargain either.

(but I suppose that "No Battery" means one could put a 16 VDC setup in it and than take it all out when it didn't work :-)

Reply to
John B.

How could they possibly ask that much for a rowboat like that? ;)

A friend (recently deceased, darnit) bought a C-Dory for less ($37k new, with lots of extras) and loved the hell out of it. It's only a few feet shorter but gives you a lot more boat for the price, IMHO.

specs
review

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope, I suppose we all get picky for our nice toys. I want an inboard for FAR more stability at anchor in bumpy water and no motors to fish around. Want the center console for plenty of room to fish four on a

27' boat.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

How so Inboard = more stability at anchor?

Reply to
John B.

I take it that it's a good-weather day-boat only?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well now, SOME of us do. :) Others not so much. :(

Reply to
Richard

Oh yes. Those sails would be in about the same condition as a motor that hasn't has the oil changes for 28 years...

Reply to
Richard

Lower center of gravity and farther forward. 1500 Lb. of engine in bottom center of boat instead high behind it. means the boat doesn't roll as much when hit by a wave.

Milady suffers from sea sickness. it is the difference between heading in and staying out.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You're in for a wet ride home if the wind kicks up to 20. One of the trade offs to be made. Alll boats have different strong features.

I'm buying a lottery ticket today. If my ship comes in, I'll be getting a 40' twin diesel catamaran, 14' beam and pay a guy to keep it ready to fish.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Or fewer strong features? Hot when sunny, windy all the time, cold when overcast, wet when rainy, need I go on? Call me a wuss, but I like a nice warm cabin to warm up in when I'm on the water and Mother Nature isn't giving me perfect weather. Glad it's your boat. ;)

There ya go!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Whatever you do, -don't- show her my last missive to you re: a cabin.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sure, but just the highlights. I built my first boat, with considerable some help from my father, in 1944. Sailed in Japan on a friend's boat in the 1950's. Bought a 80 year old Friendship Sloop and sailed the Maine coast... with no electrics and canvas sails, in the

1960's. In the 80's I was in Indonesia and sailed, again with a friend, on a traditional sailing boat, than retired in the 1990's and first bought a 36 ft. "cruiser racer" and than sold that and bought a 40 ft. sloop. Cruised Asia until 2005 and than sold that boat and bought a twin engine "cruiser" which I own today.

The fact that Catalina made, and sold, a bunch of plastic toys to people who knew very little about what they were buying is hardly germane to the question.

Ever sail a boat out of sight of land?

Reply to
John B.

Not to argue that in some cases more ballast is beneficial, I was querying the "at anchor" as often times a sailboat with several tons of ballast is quite "rolly" when anchored :-)

Reply to
John B.

When I sold the sail boat I included a set of sails that must have been nearly that old. A set of orange "storm sails" that likely came with the boat :-) Both the surveyor and the new owner noted them and neither asked to unpack them for inspection.

Which, I thought, was some indication of the surveyor's competency :-)

Reply to
John B.

O'Day 17 in Pensacola Bay. It doesn't take long to lose the land from that close to the water!

Reply to
Richard

That is certainly true.

Somewhere on the Web there is a picture of the Hungarian round the world guy in his 6 M boat somewhere in the S. Pacific. Looks almost as though he is sitting in the water.

Reply to
John B.

He's talking about Florida. Too much junk on a small boat gets in the way of fishing. Although I'm not going offshore. I don't get sick, never have, but my gal heaves mightily. Our probably last ever offshore trip was at Coffs Harbor, Australia, on a big diesel catamaran. It was a little rough, and about half the folks were chumming for the rest of us.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I used to call my Tasar the sailing submarine. Wet ride hiked out, but a lot of fun for a young guy.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor