1986 Catalina Capri 18 Sailboat - $4100 (Hudson)

Does fog count?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

For sure there's more to it. We did the acid test, paid a charter captain to take us out for a day. he didn't know it but the reason for the charter was so milady could spend a day on the boat I want.

Next day we went out with friends on a typical outboard. She was impressed with the difference.

The shamy is a fishing machine, every other criteria takes a secondary consideration.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I'm not sure, but I don't think it should. Otherwise one might be out of sight of land in one's driveway :-)

Reply to
John B.

It counts in Galveston Bay. The big guys are in the channel. But where is the channel??? Nothing like floating blind and suddenly hearing a massive fog horn.

Truth be told, though, I dislike Galveston Bay. There is so much oil equipment everywhere that you have to keep a sharp eye on your position just to avoid a well head or something else terribly hard.

As an aside... In the 1950s the average depth of Galveston Bay was 4 feet. Now it's 12 feet. That's how much oil has been pumped out from under it...

Reply to
Richard

But that isn't a unique experience. A great many places have congested navigation.

That seems like a lot of subsidence. In central Bangkok ground subsistence from pumping artesian wells is about 3 feet in some 30 years, or so.

But maybe if we stop all this depleting of our own natural resources and instead import oil from some of the less salubrious parts of the world :-)

Think what a help it will be for our less developed neighbors... all that oil money flooding into the economy :-)

Reply to
John B.

You's purty smart fer an apple fahmah.

Whatever you do, don't compare the price of fish with the cost of the boat around her. The ROI would be in the decades, if not centuries.

Reply to
Larry Jaques