Subject Author Posted Replies

OT? Plastic welding
The plastic gas tank on my lawn mower is cracked and leaking. I'm reluctant to spend almost $50 for a new tank when I can spend less than half that on this. questions: is this tool a POS or will it do...
8
8

Ref: limit switches and inhibits
Much that has been discussed is ok for "Hobby" or home type machines. As someone that retrofits drives and controls fora living I yet to hear much about the real world issues of safety and "Safety...
10
10

Plate straightener or leveler in Maryland
We do a job every so often where we mill .19" thick 5052 aluminum plates about 34" by 26". We take about 3/16" off the edge all the way around, notch a couple of corners, and put miscellaneous holes...
1
1

Mother of rivet tools
Hi folks, I must warn you, this is close to being a tool gloat. But with some unrelated crap that has happened over the last couple of days, I want to share my good fortune. At the beginning of the...
28
28

OT: Mineral rights and leases
It seems like there is a find or potential find up here in Michigan. Some people signed leases on the cheap, others for 1500 an acre. The State was one of those parties. They got the large figure so...
6
6

OT unknown unknows and the economy
John Carroll has made a convincing argument that much, even most, of the current economic/financial/fiscal problems are due more to psychological/intelectual problems than any "economic" factors. This...
2
2

Recommend quick change drills/bits?
I bought some cheapies from Lowe's recently. They are supposed to be titanium coated. They are the type with the aluminum color shanks. Some of them were noticeably crooked coming-out of the shank....
14
14

Acme thread
I need to cut an acme thread in a steel block. Roughly 5/8" X 6. I forget what I measured! Is that done with a tap or a boring bar? Friends have not heard of an acme tap. Thought someone might know....
46
46

What is this acetylene burner for?
Look at the tank and torch in the top right corner of this picture: is a little acetylene tank, regulator and torch. This is clearly something that was never meant to use oxygen. My question is what...
29
29

OT-Will BP survive the lawyers?
Shareholders revolt? The F"The oil company could be prosecuted by shareholders for paying billions upon billions into a fund for damages without being legally required to do so . It's therefore a good...
36
36

Shipload of nice welders in Chicago
Those who live near Chicago and are contemplating buying a welder, consider this upcoming auction: may get a nice, like new welder for the price of a not so nice welder at your local home improvement...
5
5

Electrode moisture
Is there a way to measure how much moisture is in an electrode?
9
9

Sandblasting/painting anvils
Would you say that sandblasting and painting anvils with rustproofing paint, such as cold galvanizing, would increase the value of an anvil? The anvil in question is a regular Columbian, nothing very...
9
9

OT - Ag irrigation question
I've wondered about this for years. Looking out at an irriagated field, I see concrete pipe, about 1-3 feet in diameter sticking up anywhere from 4 to 8 feet. What is it for?
4
4

Cast Iron table -- I was not screwed -- Pictures of stuff that I was paid $75 to take
Regarding that cast iron legged table that someone bought from me at the auction site: I was at the auction site today. Received the money ($150 for a table that was included in a lot with stuff, for...
2
2