50 taper arbor anyone?

here's the link - I needed the spacers, don't need and can't use the arbor

Bill

You got a lathe? All they are just odd lengths of cylinders, some long, some short, you can probably make them in a day.

-- Cheers,

John B.

Reply to
John B.

yes, I have a lathe, but my supply of keyway broaches is limited, and the better spacers are hardened - but yes, that's a great thought - I can make the spacers - but with this arbor the spacers are "free", it's just the arbor that needs to go.

Reply to
Bill

You can use the lathe to make the keyway. Use a boring bar which accepts 1/4" square HSS tool bits, grind it for a flat top with rake, and turn it in the boring bar so the cutting edge is towards the headstock. Then lock the spindle (e.g. engage both direct and back gear) and start running the carriage back and forth so the bit's edge acts as a scraper. Feed it out with the cross slide as needed until you get the right depth.

Yes, I could not use a 50 taper arbor either -- nor one that long. IIRC, my Nichols horizontal mill wants no longer than 11" working length.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols