Subject Author Posted Replies

Honda Going Back To Timing Chains?
Hi all, I recently bought a used 08 Honda 'Fit' McCar, and had the dealer toss in a set of factory shop manuals as part of the deal. Later, looking through the manuals, I was very surprised to learn...
21
21

Recent thread on solid state disk drives
The prices are starting to drop: 30 GB SATA 2 SS drive: $199 4 GB 2.5" PATA/IDE SS drive: $49
30
30

What am I seeing inside this servo motor? Removable encoder shaft?
I looked inside one of the servo motors (Y axis). Inside, I was surprised to see a circlip (retaining ring) and a setscrew. It is as if the encoder shaft was inserted into the actual motor shaft and...
5
5

Speed and feed confusion
Hi All, Must be a senior moment but I am stumped. 1/2" dia. two flute carbide cutting SFM 850, cut per flute 0.002" it calculates out to around 6500rpm at 26-IPM 1/2" dia. two flute HSS cutting SFM...
4
4

What is it? Weekend edition
The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to identify the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to the web site, hopefully someone will recognize them. 1. 2. I...
18
18

OT What do you think about this electric Trikke/scooter?
(crossposted, please feel free to trim the other group) I love this stuff (personal electric transportation), and this one looks fantastic. costs $2500 (US). Weighs 44 pounds. Stuff I would make...
132
132

Another economic nosedive
nosedive after jobs data Market closes under 10,000 on report of sagging U.S. job growth, more euro angst. By Christine Hauser and Matthew Saltmarsh New York Times Posted: Saturday, Jun. 05, 2010...
32
32

Just a heads up/Fiberglass books
There are a number of "Fiberglass" how to books over on They may be downloaded. There is at least 20 of them or more. No relation to the poster, just a heads up. I was reminded of the body work...

Rock tumbling Sequel/Question
Having been disappointed with the Harbor Freight rock tumbler, I won this one on auction locally. is a PAcific Scientific 40T tumbler. I paid $100 for it. This is clearly a great rock tumbler, however...
4
4

How to detect a small pin
I make 1/2", 3/4" and 1" solid wire fill end brushes that typically fit into die grinders that spin up to 20k RPM. The wire in folded in half around a steel pin then pressed into a steel cup. The cup...
41
41

Encoders? Karl?
The servos on my mill have sinusoidal encoders which are not compatible with most CNC control stuff. I am looking at various options. One is to make a converter to convert sinusoidal to quadrature. It...
39
39

Lincoln SA200
My neighbor owns a Lincoln SA200 with a V4 Wisconsin, code 1667. One of the brush holders broke and the parts lists on Lincoln Electric skips over that code number. The part number for the brush...
2
2

OT - Free donut day
Are you ready for some fun? Enjoy a FREE DONUT with any beverage purchase* and celebrate National Donut Day at Dunkin' Donuts. It's one day only, so make sure to RSVP so you don't forget. It's going...
2
2

underwater metal working
http://globalwarming.house.gov/spillcam
24
24

OT: Computer virus question
A friend dropped off a Dell laptop with a virus issue. It was that nasty one that wants to do a "virus scan" and charge you a bunch of money. I seemed to eliminate it but I got the laptop back and it...
16
16