6mm BallScrew In Service (pic)

Well, there it is. It's a combination of design to fit and machine to fit techniques, but it screams up and down at 40 IPM. (Fastest I can run without changing the kernel speed.) I expected to be able to stall it very easily with the stepper running that fast, but I was unable to stall it by bracing my hand against the table and bushing upward with the axis rapiding downwards. (I think the G450 must switch from micro steps to full steps over as certain step rate. I'll have to ask Marcus about that.) Now I probably need to map the screw. Repeatability is very good, but accuracy is pretty bad at different distances along the screw. I never had to map a screw before. Funny that the first ball screw I install has the worst accuracy of any screw I've used. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just for the heck of it I bumped the kernel speed up to 65khz and I got 53 IPM on rapids without stalling on a 25.4 TPI (1mm) screw. That's nuts. I'm tempted to bump it up again just to see where it does stall.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Oops. 45khz. Not 65.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cut my first mold with the new setup. Wow! It looks really good. I admit I took several steps to stiffen up the Z axis and spindle mount all at the same time, but this little ball screw is awesome. Oh, and when I measured travel with my dial indicator (to start mapping the screw) it was only off about .0004 per inch at the worst spot. Actually less near the end were it will do most of its work. Nowhere near as bad as I thought when I quick checked it with my caliper. Its still not any better than C7, but its not as bad as I first feared. I haven't checked backlash on it yet, but linear movement is pretty good. I now have a machine I can smaller prototype molds on while the Taig is grinding its way through the "bigger" stuff. I never trusted the little machine before.

Still kills me I am running 50800 steps per inch and over 50 IPM with good holding/moving force and no stalling.

Reply to
Bob La Londe