'84 Ford diesel F250?

I need a beater truck. A guy near me is selling an '84 diesel F250, dual tanks, body pretty straight, for what seems like a reasonable amount. Is there anything in the vast experience pool on this NG which is good or bad about this truck?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

The only bad thing I know about that vintage, if it has the 7.4L International engine, is that they developed porosity in the cylinder walls that required the engines to be bored and sleeved.

At least for a while, Ford was paying for owners to have that done. Dunno if it would stick to the wall any more.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Actually that had the 6.9 which had much thicker walls so generally the pinholes never made it through. (they just bored it out to make the 7.3) An extremely high mileage truck might. I never liked the 4 speed tranny. If you are hauling a heavy trailer it is hard to get enough speed up in third to get 4th to pull once you shift. That was my experiences with them. As a beat around truck there not bad. usually need new glowplugs and controller, but thats about all.

Reply to
Bill

I drive that truck. Mine is a F350 though. I bought it from the company I worked for at the time. It had the 6.9 and had locked up after suffering the pin hole hydalock malady. They replaced the engine with a reworked engine(6.9 sleeved to 7.3) and had ceased to use the truck. I also had a nephew with one that did the same breakdown. Fords solution for the problem was the addition of coolant additives to reduce cavitation in the water jacket. Hi mileage with original engine is probably running on borrowed time. Engine replacement is expensive for this one. kk kk

Reply to
kk

That's an old truck. Repairs can be expensive. Might be better to pass and get something newer. However, if you need anything, especially fuel injection related I've got it, and can fix you up cheap cus that's what I do.

Reply to
Mike

Grant, send me your phone # off line I have a fair number of things you should check out .

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Thanks, Pete. I'm at 425-864-0638. It's too late tonight, but I'll be around all day tomorrow. (Tuesday)

GWE

Pete wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin