A bad day

Ernie is made of sterner stuff than most. I can't imagine that a little thread drift would offend him overmuch.

Ain't that right. Ernie? :)

Congratulations on your recovery! I hadn't been following your threads and assumed that you had been attacked by non-degreed individuals.

All my best

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

And now the picture.

I found out today that I could get my X-rays on CD from radiology. I have posted the best to the dropbox

look for

This was before any work was done They had to trim back the middle finger another 3/8" to have enough skin to close the end.

The index finger doesn't hurt as much as the middle finger. The index finger got severed. The middle finger got mashed.

I got the cast and bandages off today.

Not pretty and lots of really sensitive nerve endings Still, could be worse.

At least now I am qualified to teach high school shop classes.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yup, your safety lecture will get their attention. Get well soon.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

I missed the cause, I suppose a moments inattention is all it takes. Funny thing is all the google ads above the message for splints and bandages. Now you have the secret handshake.:)

Reply to
Beecrofter

That's actually a rather cool image. Send it to CafePress - you could do warning T shirts 8-)

Hope the healing goes well

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 06:06:00 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler calmly ranted:

That sucks, doesn't it? Did they take the end bone out?

Mega ouch.

Yes, it could have been much worse. Heal quickly, y'hear?

What is that spike on the inside of the first carpal bone of your thumb, at the web?

Yeah, now you have PROOF that they should listen to the Safety Nazi rants, huh? ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - WARNING! WARNING! Dangerous Mailbox Approaching. Evade! Evade! ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Owww. These are the things I dread. However, it happens. Sometimes even to the best.

You are so generous with your knowledge and encouragement. I wish our generousity could instantly make it better.

Meanwhile, here's hoping for a speedy physical and mental recovery!

With all good wishes, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

Hey Ernie, Have you experienced any phamtom pain yet?, pain in the finger tops you don't have any more. If so you will need to start desensitizing the stumps. Kinda like letting the brain know where the fingers end. I used a variety of sandpaper and tool edges. After a while you won't remember what it was like to have all your fingers. Are you going to be able to operate a mig gun as is or will you have to relocate the trigger?

Reply to
John D

Not to make light of your situation, Ernie, but I think your image will become a classic, posted near pinchpoints throughout the world

I remember that mashed feeling distinctly. The tip of my right middle finger is still somewhat numb from crushing it about 10 years ago.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yeah! Very sorry to hear of your mishap. I could say, "I feel your pain", but I'm very glad that I don't. Keep the faith, heal up real gud and, recover knowing all your RCM friends are, errr, wellll, behind you - but not too close, don't you know?

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I suggest you hang a print of this X-ray on each machine capable of doing this kind of damage, as a graphic reminder to the students that this real, unforgiving world. (I don't think you will need a reminder yourself.)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I noticed that too. No idea. I will ask the Doctors on my next visit

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have always been semi-ambidextrous due to a youth spent playing French Horn ( left hand ) and flugelhorn ( right hand ).

In welding I have always been a switch hitter.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It ain't funny, but that's some of the best laughs I've had in a while. You have a good comedic way of seeing things.

dog log.....

Thanks Steve. I bet Ernie will be hold>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I wonder if the "glow" around the X ray itself is from all the years of 2% GTAW radionucliocides in the electrodes?

Hope your feeling better.... Nothing like having the coach miss a game!!!

Take care sir, Rob- Chicago

Reply to
RDF

Peter, the problem is that the sternum/ribs don't heal back as strong as they were before the docs went to work with the bone saw. Since that part of the body takes a lot of stress when you use your arms, especially when you lift something and move it across the body, it will always tend to ache after moderate extertion.

That's the nature of the beast and you learn to live with it. Five years after my surgery, my sternum can still ache like a bum knee on a rainy day after a long day in the shop. I don't know that I'm physically limited in what I can do, but I will pay a price for doing certain things.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

My "picture -on-the-wall" reminder is from almost 40 years ago, and still very well remembered to this day. It was in the employee entrance to an Electrohome factory in Kitchener, Ontario. An 8 X 10 real photo of a ripped off left ring-finger, badly bent up wedding ring still in place, and one of the tendons about 12" long still attached to the root of the finger . I still shudder. Attached caption said that the fellow had been coming down a ladder (remember the old wooden ones with 1/4" threaded rod cross-ties below every rung/step) and he had elected to step down the last two steps in one motion, but his ring caught on a bolt in the ladder stile. I quit wearing any rings as of that day, and because of it I only wore my wedding ring on the day we married, for just that day.

Also, as an aside, I was with a fellow who "pinched" off about 1" of the end of a finger, and I took him and the end piece to emergency. I put the piece in a towel with some ice-cubes, and the doctor said that bringing the piece was the best thing, as he could use it to "cap" the stump end and would not need to cut back the bone to provide skin to do that.

Still shuddering. Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

My dad did that in a plane crash and said it was the most painful thing in his life. 2 yrs. Maybe you should be taking Glucosamine and go to the spa/gym. It messes with my circulatory system if I take it long term , so be careful. IIRC that's a good 3 yr. problem.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I am really sorry for your fingers, Ernie. This looks like lots of pain.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

Ernie, sounds like things are going well and you're feeling better. I hope you realize how much everyone admires your skill and knowledge. I wouldn't buy anything regarding welding unless it was "Ernie approved" and this long thread is proof I'm not the only one around who feels the same way. Now that I have said that, you inspired me to create a great shirt for your first day back in the classroom. It was done ONLY to make you laugh and no disrespect was meant. Maybe you could sell them, I'd buy one!

good luck, walt

Reply to
wallster