A billionaire explains the middle class

I don't doubt that at all. To fix it, we have to either tax imports or work for wages competitive with the rest of the world. Fat chance of getting the unions to cut salary demands. Taxing imports enough to do any good will create immediate retaliation that may bring the whole international trade Jenga Tower crashing down. I think we're in for a long, slow, gridlocked spiral down. I pray that it takes at least 30 years and I won't see the end.

Much of the regulation comes from our litigious society and the need to create a cause out of everything. One kid gets killed in a car accident and suddenly we have "Billy's Law" that greatly increases the safety requirements for car seats. Nobody worries about how that interacts with "Betsy's Law" or "Little Johnny's Law" or all the other regulations on the books.

30,000 people a year are killed in auto accidents. If we worried about that, we'd have to outlaw autos. But, at least we won't have a repeat of Billy's tragic death.
Reply to
mike

There are numbers in those models. Meanwhile, smartness doesn't have reliable numbers.

Reply to
mogulah

Long time labor-friendly business leaders should normally be the most well-connected especially when there is a democrat White House. A talk with them couldn't hurt for verification.

But still, you are guessing though. To make sure, you should be talking to people a lot smarter than you and I who've both advised and consulted on that specific issue for many years.

You've got to know for certain.

That will never change, so work starting from that point is needed.

Reply to
mogulah

Not his, which are mostly business applications, but he says there is a lot of academic research in applying complexity theory to econometric models. He touched on it in grad school but he doesn't use it.

Equilibrium models are the basis for business applications, and Real Analysis is the highest-level math that's ordinarily called for. Sometimes they're trying to find converging series' when building models:

It's too exotic for me. I never got that far in math.

Well, they never could, perfectly. What they're seeking is models that

*work* to a useful or acceptable degree.

It's like statistical sampling, in which you're looking for plus-and-minus values at a certain level of confidence. Or engineering: you may never know when an aircraft wing will fail from fatigue, but you can produce a good enough answer to keep your plane from crashing.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Most financiers are not involved in manipulating, but rather in predicting where markets are going.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Kinda like global warming computer models, eh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

speaks of new banking laws which allow global banks to invest in derivatives, just like those we saw in 2008/9. Fun, wot?

"It's Official: "The Worldwide Bail-ins Are Coming. "On November 16,

an important decision. The world's megabanks now have official permission to pledge depositor accounts as collateral to make leveraged derivative bets. And if they lose a bet, the counterparty to the contract has first dibs on your money."

The next big thing will be to allow banks to invest in gambling in Vegas, I suppose. "Perfectly safe." they say...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Both are kinda like chemistry before 1800, when the best minds continually struggled to update their observation-based theories to fit embarrassing new discoveries.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

He needs to maintain his open hand in order to repeatedly slap himself on the forehead at his own stupidity, mike. As to the other hand, who knows where that thumb has been...

Now let's stop giving these jerks airtime, OK?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Michael A. Terrell

So do you want to live i na country where wages are $2.40/hr.?

Some people (like Hamei, our former NG participant) like living there. We talk about it once or twice per year, and I realize I would not.

We will neither tax imports nor work for $2.40 per hour. What will happen is that the labor costs and transportation costs, plus numerous other problems in dealing with China, will bring their delivered costs up to approximate parity.

Pessimist.

The per-vehicle-mile death rate in the US is less than one-third of what it was in the 1970s. There are a lot of people who should be glad that we "worried about that."

It's always a little surprising to me to hear people talk about how bad things are today, without thinking about how much better they are, in most ways, than they've ever been before.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'm rather enjoying the speculation. Sure beats all the drive-by namecalling that happens in most threads. Kinda like yours 4 lines up.

Reply to
mike

I was gonna suggest that the rich ones are. But financiers may not be the right word. I was fixated on the people manipulating the stock market to suck every bit of money they can out of it.

Reply to
mike

No, those models *do* use complexity theory.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

There are enough of those to make the whole system unstable and to line the pockets of the manipulators. Fortunately, the legitimate ones don't like it and may yet reform the system.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'm hopeful.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Don't try to confuse me with the facts!!!!! My mind is made up!!!!

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

You may find the following of interest:

In many cases "economics" does not appear to be required, only a good memory. For example, limiting companies to a size small enough to fail [without bringing the entire economy down], and preventing people from gambling [speculating] with other peoples' [depositors'] money.

Other restrictions from the insurance industry such as not allowing a homeowner to insure their house multiple times, or prohibiting someone with no interest in a house from insuring it, would seem to apply to derivatives. For example, why should more credit default swaps be sold/traded than the amount of underlying debt?

Why should futures trading contracts in excess of the available physical quantity for the contract period be allowed? [This is an invitation to a "short squeeze"]

Why should organizations which are neither consumers or producers be allowed to engage in commodity hedging, thus promoting speculation/manipulation?

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

The RCM motto!

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Oh, my! They did hold some interesting theories before him, and some after. Remember when going faster than 25mph would make your blood boil?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who do you think I am? Barney Oldfield?

Jim Wilkins