Alternatives to an RF30 - help needed

Yep, indeed it is. I think the only thing that would concern me if I chose this model is if it has power feed available for the quill, assuming all other features are acceptable to you for your proposed application (table size, table travel, etc., which all seem to be reasonable). Boring without power feed is not a good idea, generally yields poor results. If power feed is available, I'd suggest that this has the potential of being a pretty nice addition to a small shop, especially one that has no mill at all. I would not make the lack of power feed a reason to reject it as a choice, but it would be a negative attribute. It's just nice to have when needed so holes turn out uniformly. Quill power feed is one power feed that is difficult to get along without when one is called for. Most functions on a mill do not demand it, though.

The concept of the dovetail head in place of a knee is the basic principle used for jig borers, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with the design.

I give this machine a thumbs up.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:56:25 GMT, "Peter Grey" brought forth from the murky depths:

The "max spindle to table" height is determined with the knee all the way down. That's where they get the "max", KWIM,V?

("KWIM,V?" is short for "KnowwhatImean,Vern" in case you wondered.)

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques