Another Craftsman tool rant

But only if you actually swap. And if you do, the performance penalty is so great compared to not swapping that any difference would be almost impossible to discern.

If you are seeing significant "spinning beach ball" time, then going to a separate swap drive might reduce the amount of time you spend staring at the beach ball by 10% or so. But increasing the memory can come close to eliminating it completely (and/or reducing the frequency). Sometimes, that isn't an option, due to budget or hardware, but the number of cases where a swap drive is a better solution than memory is pretty darned small.

In a word, yes.

Reply to
Kelly Jones

Illegal aliens? Where did that come from? I wasn't even close to suggesting that.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Exactly what type of "air tool" is this pneumatic motor, and how old is it?

Reply to
aarcuda69062
[ ... ]

So -- take the time to *show* them how to tell by feel whether it is the right size screwdriver or not.

First -- explain to them that usually, with Phillips, the right size screwdriver *looks* too big.

Then show them how the right and wrong screwdrivers *feel* in the screw head. There is a difference. You know it. Can you explain it to them so they will?

Next -- *show* them the problems which arise from using the wrong size screwdriver. The rounded out sockets -- the worn tips which are more likely to inflict the same damage on the next screw head.

And -- when one of them screws up -- give them the task of fixing it.

I know that at that age, *I* could have benefited from being shown how to tell. And back then, I kept coming up with Reed & Prince screws and tips to make things more complex.

(Of course, now, you can hit the offset Phillips, the Tri-wings, the secure variants of Allen and Torx, and lord only knows what else. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Perhaps I didnt make myself clear. Its been my experience that illegal aliens as a group, are harder working, less willing to bitch, whimper and tend to be smarter than most modern kids

Gunner

"Veterans, and anyone sensible, take cover when there's incoming. A cloud of testosterone makes a piss poor flack shield."

Reply to
Gunner

That's not too difficult!

Reply to
Ken Finney

I have had Klein Philips heads last for years. Insert type screwdrivers are OK but definitely wouldn't be my first choice due to the thicker barrel, etc. Klein is quite popular in the electrical trade.

ATP*

============= Are you sure they were Phillips and not Posidrive screws?

While the term "Phillips" is still widely used, Posis are generally used in a production environment. Major change is the tip of the Posidrive is "dubbed" off. A real Phillips driver will tend to strip a posi screw head because it can't seat deep enough. Look to see if there is an "X" across the cruciform of the "Phillips" if there is you have posi screws and need posi drivers. You may also want to evaluate using some of the newer driver styles. The fasteners cost slightly more, but stripping and camouts are largely eliminated. Also provides some tamper protection.

GmcD

GmcD

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Only "dubbed off" end I have seen were only Phillips, the pointier ones were Reed Prince. So you are saying Posi Drive are shorter?

George V.

Reply to
George

============== This is not a unique problem and is far more frequent in assembly operations than it should be.

Thre are three common cruciform drives in common use.

Reed & Prince with very thin "wings" and a long sharp point -- commonly used in the US only on golf club face inserts.

Phillips with slightly thicker wings and a blunter point that still is sharp although may be slightly rounded. Sides of the wings tend to be slightly tapered increasing tendency to cam out. Generally no marks on top of screw other than cruciform.

Posidrive with thick wings, blunt point that is dubbed off more or less square on end. Top of screw will generally have light "x" between the cruciform drive slots. sides of cruciform are parallel and have no tendency to cam out.

see

Given the problems you seem to be having, you may wish to consider another head/driver style such as Robertson/Skrulox. see
If you have more than minimal parts volume you can most likely realize significant savings in scrap/rework and labor by contacting a reputable fastener distributor. They can evaluate your needs and provide the lowest overall cost fasteners. You may even save on worksman comp by eliminating stab and repetative stress [carpel tunnel] injuries.

Hope this helps.

GmcD

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Personally I don't have any problem with cross point drivers. The OP seems to be having the problem with the "kids" not knowing the difference though. The real confusion in the US seems to come from the fact that many manufactureres, Craftsman as well but not lately, include RP drivers in their common driver sets. And to the common layman, a cross point driver is always a Phillips. My solutio (not being a golfer) is to "lose" any RP drivers that find their way into my toolbox or near vicinity. Works for me.

George V.

Reply to
George

Ahhh, _that_ explains why my grandfather's tools included one of these. Thank you, I'd been wondering.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

R&P are also common on older (WW-II vintage) military aircraft.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

RP is (was?) widely used on furniture as well, at least when furniture was made in the US.

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn