Any Such Thing as Seasonal Scrap Prices?

Is there a time of year when scrap metals generally sell for more?

I'm just guessing they get buried a bit more either prior to or just after the holidays because people want the cash to pay bills. But is there a "best time" to sell scrap metals in your opinion?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I like your article on brainwashing. I deserve a break, today. I'm going to McDonalds. Right after I grab a bucket and mop, scrub it bottom to top.

.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The walk-in small trade doesn't much effect scrap prices--they're driven by the overall large demand. The local dealers are resellers, too, so they're driven by market demand--when world demand is down, so is scrap.

The local guy here is and has been stockpiling for the last 6-8 months because prices are down.

Reply to
dpb

I'm sure the prices go up and down. I've talked to scrap yard people who say this. What the pattern is, I don't know.

.

I'm just guessing they get buried a bit more either prior to or just after the holidays because people want the cash to pay bills. But is there a "best time" to sell scrap metals in your opinion?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The prices usually go up in the winter after January.

John

Reply to
John

Scrap aluminum goes down in the einter in florida, because the snowbirds sel their empty pop & beer cans. More is availible, so the price drops. The best time to sell cans is just before they arrive for the season.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For those who think they can time the markets based on consumer-level trends...

Reply to
dpb

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 26 Oct 2012

09:30:07 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

OTOH, come spring, the beercans start to show up as the snow melts.

YMMV

pyotr

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The longest I've seen snow last around here, was a couple hours. I've only seen snow twice, in the last 25 years.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 26 Oct 2012

19:50:07 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Well, you poooor thang B-)

I see it often. Usually way up in the mountains, where I don't have to drive in it, if I don't want to. Now two years ago I took a job in eastern Washington, started in January. Going over the pass one night, the traffic advisory radio warned of the bad roads conditions. I kept waiting for them to get "bad". As long as the pavement was mostly clear, or just wet, that isn't "hazardous". I mean, not like packed snow and ice with blowing snow and no chains. Anyway, I just chugged along, following the big trucks or the snow plows. Wasn't till I got out of the mountains an on "the flat" that it started to get cold. Ever try to wash the road spray off your windshield when it's about 26 degrees out? Fahrenheit? At two o'clock in the morning? Finding an open station was the hard part. But oh, the colors - the star! I could really get to like living over there.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Try clean the ice off your windows at -40 and no gas stations for 100 miles. :( OTOH, I saw the Northern Lights lighting up the entire sky, bright as day.

I got caught one night in a blizzard near Cincinnati. It was a little over 30 miles to get home. It took over eight hours, and it used a full tank of gas in my truck. I was more concerned about the dumb ass semi drivers blowing me off the road, like they did to a lot of other vehicles. One passed me while I was on a patch of ice and spun the van

720 degrees and it tried to roll over.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I hope those truckers ended up in the ditch.

.

I got caught one night in a blizzard near Cincinnati. It was a little over 30 miles to get home. It took over eight hours, and it used a full tank of gas in my truck. I was more concerned about the dumb ass semi drivers blowing me off the road, like they did to a lot of other vehicles. One passed me while I was on a patch of ice and spun the van

720 degrees and it tried to roll over.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They should have ended up in jail. The radio was full of warnings to slow down, ordered by the state yet they didn't give a damn. The smart ones were in the rest stops & truck stops. They were ordering people to get off the roads, and rent a motel room, but all were full by the time I got off work at midnight.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 27 Oct 2012

09:43:52 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cool.

Now I'm humble in deed For I'm cuffed to a Swede, who thinks he's a millionaire. But I settled Sam Snoot, when he started to shoot Electricity into my walls."

Wonder If they were suffering from road hypnosis. I know you can get pretty spaced watching snow flakes streaming into your face.

-- pyotr Go not to the Net for answers, for it will tell you Yes and no. And you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the question, forty two, 47, the second door, and how many blonde lawyers does it take to change a lightbulb.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

They were overdriving their headlights. I saw more than one make an emergency lane change to keep from hitting a smaller vehicle. Both are very stupid moves, and it doesn't do their load any good when the trailer is rocking, side to side.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

[ ... ]

Well ... I have a friend who was driving a long way home on roads which became icy. No traffic rural area. He saw a parked car beside the road eased off the gas pedal, and spun out, hitting the only car for 20 miles each way. It could have been something like that with the one which spun out after passing you.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

My van was spun by the vacuum created by a semi that was just inches from me when it passed. It was so close that could have touched the thing. It was using parts of two lanes, since the left side of the center speed lane was full of ice & snow. The inside lane was completely useless by that time.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell