Anybody here ever mig welded titanium?

Several years ago I bought a roll of .032 titanium welding wire, alloy unknown, for 5 bucks. Now that I have that little mig welder I'm wondering if it can weld titanium. Anybody know? Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Titanium will form nasty oxides if ANY oxygen gets near it when its hot. So yes, you could probably mig weld titanium- inside an inert gas filled chamber. Like one of these-

Otherwise, with just the sheilding gas from the mig gun, I really doubt it.

But hey, try it and let us know.

Reply to
Ries

So, how much current do I need to run .032" wire? And since I'm fresh out of titanium sheet and bar I'll need to try to weld some other metal with the titanium wire. Can other metals be welded with titanium? ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Not only do you need to worry about oxygen, but nitrogen is also a killer. Titanium will burn in pure nitrogen. There is a reason that adhesive bonding is popular....

If you look at history you'll find that no state has been so plagued by its rulers as when power has fallen into the hands of some dabbler in philosophy or literary addict.

Desiderius Erasmus (c. 1466-1536), Dutch humanist. Praise of Folly, ch. 24 (1509).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee