Anyone hear of a New ULM brand lathe

Supposedly made by New Ulm Precision Tools Co., out of New Ulm, Mn.

Any info on it is appreciated. Its approximately 7" swing over ways, and 12 inches between centers.

Reply to
Huey Conway

In article , Huey Conway

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

DoN might be right, but it might be worth investigating. New Ulm is a strongly German small community. If this lathe is as good as the products of the August Schell brewery in New Ulm....

Reply to
Don Foreman

The castings and most of the basic machines are built and assembled by the Chinese "Red Dragon Noodle and Machine Tool Works".

Gunner

It's not unwise to remember that Mother Nature is essentially a murderous, sneakly, promiscuous bitch who has been trying to kill you since your conception.

Eventually she will succeed, perhaps with the help of your fellow man.

Life consists in putting off the inevitable as long as possible and taking what good and joy you can before her success.

Whether you attribute that situation to evolutionary forces, a fallen nature after Adam and Eve screwed the pooch, or whatever, it's no less true.

Be friendly, pleasant, unaggressive, and honest toward all and be prepared to ignore, avoid, or even kill anyone who is otherwise toward you. Being ready doesn't mean eager, just ready. What true friends are found in life will undestand and accept that fundamental rule of human interaction." John Husvar

Reply to
Gunner

I live less than an hour's drive from New Ulm. Its small town middle America with a STRONG Greman background. I'm sure there's not an Asian re-importer there. I bet you could just get ahold of the yellow pages and look for the name of that company. Otherwise, do what I do for small towns like this; call up the local hardware store and aks them.

BTW, I toured the brewery last year. They gave me a sample of Schell's Caramel Bock. Now its the only beer I drink.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Here's their website, with contact information. According to their mission statement, their primary business is designing and manufacturing fixtures and jigs, work cells, etc. They also sell a line of machine tool accessories, according to several web directories. Why not give 'em a call and see what they say?

My bet is it's a rebadged Chinese 7x12, but if not, please let us know. Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

This thread had me *seriously* confused for a while. I spent a year stationed in New Ulm (actually spelled Neu-Ulm) in Germany around '72. Needless to say, that community is strongly German as well and has a strong metalworking heritage. Walther, the gunmaker is located in Ulm proper, just over the river.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Look at the machine list - they look Japanese.

They have Danobat, DoAll, Moore, Unison, Brown and Sharpe,

Okamoto, OKK, Tsugami , Bridgeport mills, Harrison, Okuma Mori Seiki

etc.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I dunno. I thought the list looked like they actually chose fairly well when they bought their tooling.

It's not like they have a pile of HF or Powerfist brand tools in use. That they admit to, anyway. :-)

And, that is the list of tools that they have available to use, not to sell.

I did not see anywhere that indicated that they were in the buisness of selling general purpose or hobby type machine tools, so perhaps this lathe that got this all started is a new venture for them, or it is not related to them at all.

I would tend towards the sentiment expressed above, that it is probably another rebadge. I'd be glad to be wrong, though.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones