Anyone knows a website where I can buy grill components

That is possible. Just keep in mind that you won't be able to use the grill below the pig while roasting a pig. The heat requirements are different. For the pig you want a nice steady temp around 200-250 degrees for between 6 - 12 hours (depends on the size of the pig, you keep roasting till you hit an internal temp of 160-165 in the ham)

For grilling burgers and such you want a temp at the grill level of closer to 300-400 degrees, higher if you want the initial turns to exhibit grill marks.

For roasting you want the heat 14" or more away from the meat, With a drip pan between them to avoid fires and the burnt fat taste. For grilling you want 6-8" between the fire and meat.

Most big pits have a small grill added to the side to do the burgers and such. Mine started life as a 500 gallon round tank. It has a propane burner bar down each side that allows me to start a fire in it easily. It also allows the temp to be controlled MUCH easier. For the main fuel source I use either good dry hardwood (Maple, Beech, Ash) Or good charcoal. The pit has a rotisserie powered with a 1 HP gear head motor. Turns the spit at just under .75 RPM. I built it to handle pigs/beef up to 300 - 400 pounds I attached a grill to the side that also uses propane/charcoal to do burgers/steaks and such. Also have a deep fryer and pair of top burners to make sauces/cook corn or whatever else.

Reply to
Steve W.

This is an awesome post. I will try to think of something that could accommodate both. I have three 304 stainless sheets that I can work with.

The first task is to sandblast this compressor.

Reply to
Ignoramus3477

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:PBLRp.36847 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.iad:

All of what he said, and this:

My grill/cooker isn't quite as fancy as his, but I rigged up a slow- cooker from an 80-gallon air tank. I cut it down to a 50-gal. "cooker", and a 30-gal. "fire box". The heat from the wood fire is commuted up into the cooker with a flame tube that has perforations only on the bottom, and crosses the entire width of the cooker tank. The fire tank is below the cooker tank, unlike some designs that put it off to one end.

As an adjunct, I added racks on which I can place charcoal pans for grilling in the same cooking tank, on the same grill, and I added a small propane burner (and thermostat) at one end for those long, slow roasting operations where after about four hours of smoking, you still have 20 hours of slow-cooking left. (I cook a lot of brisket, and it's an 18-24 hour process, unlike pork which can be cooked in 6-8 hours to perfection).

So, yes; you can grill and roast in the same vessel, but it's hard to do both at the same time.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch on Fri, 08 Jul 2011 21:11:24 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

It must have been a stroke moment.

Take that up with the dogs. I think I heard them conspiring to see if _you_ would notice it was making gravy in _your_ mouth. (The cats of, course, thought it a stupid idea But then again, anything which doesn't involve restoration to their rightful place in the Pantheon, or tuna, they consider a stupid idea.)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Brisket is a fun item to deal with. Cook it too fast and you can re-sole your shoes with the result ! Get it right and it will fall apart so fast that just keeping it on the fork can be a chore...

I do brisket in a smoker as well. Mine is the fire box to one side style though. That one is smaller than the pig pit.

Got any good rub blends???

Reply to
Steve W.

I love brisket, too.

Ignoramus2159

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:f9ZRp.27789 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

Oh, yeah! This one is compliments of Danny Creagan, with my own slight mods to make it more savory, and prevent burning due to excess sugar.

----- Magic Dust #2 - this started with the Mike Mills recipe but has several changes. This is meant to be slow cooked/smoked.

2 Tablespoons paprika 3 Tablespoons kosher salt, finely ground 2 Tablespoons sugar 1 Tablespoon hot chili powder 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard powder 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin 1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes enough rub for 3 slabs of pork loin back ribs.

Now I've upped the black pepper and cayenne to 1TBSP each, added 2TBSP of onion powder, and reduced the sugar to 1-1/2tsp.

This is good on chicken quarters and brisket, also.

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Tim Wescott