Anyone knows a website where I can buy grill components

I wanted to install a grill into this compressor that I gutted last week. I would prefer, if possible, to buy somehting decent and well designed instead of coming up with my own design. So, would anyone who has done something similar, be able to recommend a good source?

Ignoramus18332

If you were in the UK then I could provide some local links but as you're in the US maybe search for "Catering gas fittings" or similar searches.

Reply to
David Billington

Have you tried searching for "grill parts", or perhaps just look at grillparts.com?

Reply to
Pete C.

yes

Reply to
Ignoramus18332

Haven't seen anything beyond what you can get for repair parts at the local HD or Lowe's for regular BBQ grills. Most guys when making the big guys weld some tabs on the edges to hold the grill, cut some expanded metal for a grill, weld on hinges and load up with a couple of bags of charcoal. Had one like that that they made on the waterfront at the shipyard, used 2 100 gallon drums welded end to end and then split. If you want gas, Brownell's has some pipe burners made for heating blueing tanks, probably could be adapted or duplicated.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Charcoal

Reply to
Ignoramus18332

He's from Taft. EVERYthing tastes like petroleum there... :)

Reply to
CaveLamb

I can weld iron pieces too. What I am not sure how to do is how to make a good grill that grills stuff correctly, instead of smoking too much/heating food unevenly/etc.

Ignoramus18332

Oh, heck, there's nothing to it! As long as there's meat and fire, you will eat. All those other details come down to technique, much like with welding. ;-)

(make two pieces of metal hot enough to melt, let the molten metal puddles merge together, and you've got a weldment. Making it pretty, however .... ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's the grease dripping off the meat and burning that drives the flavor back up into the meat. Which is why that distance is critical. It's also one reason why gas grills have drip plates over the burners. Drip plates not required with charcoal.

Reply to
Rex

The first thing is to decide what you want as the end result. Do you want BBQ where you take large chunks of meant and cook them slowly over time, OR do you want a grill where you can toss a 1" thick steak and a couple burgers and have them done in a few minutes?

While you can build a rig that will do both, they are entirely different systems.

For the first you want an indirect heat source that generates an even heat over a long period. For the second you want an even direct heat source at a higher temperature.

Doing both at the same time is not possible on one grill. You could build a unit that does both but you will need to determine the design first.

So What is the result you wish for?

Reply to
Steve W.

Bob La Londe

Ig, I built mine with replaceable trusses under the grill ("Tab-A into Slot-B" sort of arrangement, and not welded to the grill), and 306SS 9- gauge expanded metal for the grill. Ten years and running, so far.

I cut it into two pieces, and manipulate the two halves using a "grill hook" of 7/16" rod with a 120-degree bend at the bitter end (about 1" long), and a "hot handle" at the other.

You just poke the short end of the hook through a hole in the grill, turn it around until the hook peeks out another hole, and lift the affair neatly.

LLoyd

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sheesh! There are as many grilling techniques as there are grillmasters, who everybody who's ever flipped a burger or brat (or even a chicken) over a heat source considers himself.

Some like the meat to drip on the coals and flame-broil their meat. Some like to put the coals off to the side and indirect-grill their meat over a cool drip pan.

Many people use "rubs," which to me kind of obviates the point of grilling meat - why not just rub a bunch of cayenne pepper on a rutabaga?

The point is, it doesn't matter. Do whatever you feel like, test the results, and adjust as needed.

In any case, have fun and good eating!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ideally, I would still like to do both grilling and pig roasting. I think that if I hang the pig a few inches above the grill, I may get that indirect effect.

Ignoramus7393

Yep. Even the chicken.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Bob La Londe" on Tue, 5 Jul 2011 08:40:50

Thanks, need to check that out. I've a grill which had the manifold burn out. And it will not take a "generic" replacement.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Be sure that the heat sources for the pig are not directly beneath the pig. The fat dripping from the pig will catch fire and or smoke if it drips onto the heat source. Best is to catch the fat and let it run off into a container. Use this rendered fat to deep fry the left over pig meat the next morning for breakfast. Serve with tortillas, pico de gallo, and crema fresca. Eric

Reply to
etpm

And a couple of Plavix, a Toprol or two, and some fresh-snipped Lipitor. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I cook a pig once a year. And fry up the leftover meat in lard for carnitas the next morning. As much rendered fat as possible is used. Everybody loves the breakfast. Some come just for the breakfast I'm sure. And you're right, heart attack on a plate. But worth it once a year. Eric

Reply to
etpm