Application of algebra

Yep. There was an item in our local paper recently - "Maths Teacher Arrested at Airport"

He tried to board an aeroplane, and the routine security check, when searching his luggage, found a compass, protractor, and calculator.

He was subsequently charged with possessing Weapons Of Maths Instruction.....

(My method - make everything generously oversize, then cut down to final size - anything more than the basic 4 functions is beyond me....)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
vk3bfa

And trig. The basic 3 functions. A few years ago I built a trolley to lift roofing shingles on a ladder:

/ / / / / / / / / + / ---- | / x \-------O/ ---- \ / \ / \ / O/ / / / /

There was an electric hoist at the top & the big question was where to attach the cable to the trolley, so as to have equal weight on the wheels. Too low and the cable would lift the top wheels; too high & it would lift the bottom wheels. Somewhere in the middle would be just right.

I solved it by summing moments to zero around 2 points, solving simultaneous equations with lots of sin, cos, & tan values. (If you're thinking "Why simultaneous equations when there's only 1 unknown?", you're right, but for some forgotten reason it was more convenient to have 2 or 3 unknowns.)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Thats OK as long as it DOSEN'T have an = sign on it.:-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

No, he was using algebra. No higher math at all.

Teaches you to think abstractly, which is an extraordinarily valuable skill even if you never take another integral.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Exactly. Generally the people who can find no use for mathematics are the ones who never took the time to learn any mathematics to use.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things

Marv

I'm horrible at higher math, but even I know you split that into a horizontal cylinder and a sphere (for the two end shells). Solve the height/volume for each separately, and add the results together.

And don't forget to allow for a striking pad in the bottom of the tank at the stick hole - underground storage tanks place a big piece of 1/2" plate there so you don't drop the stick hard a few thousand times and manage to crack the inner wall. Or just 'the wall' on an old single-wall tank.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

While tanks with hemispherical ends exist, most tanks have domed ends that are not hemispheres. Typically, they're a portion of a spherical surface that has a center somewhere in the interior of the tank.

Given only the OAL of the tank and the length and diameter of the cylindrical part of the tank, the math becomes an interesting exercise.

Reply to
Marv

Bruce you are right, the equation for the volume of a partially filled horizontal cylinder as a function of the height needs to be derived as well as the partially filled domes on the end. Of course a straight forward, less exotic way is to fill the tank a gallon at a time and mark your stick.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Reminds me of a story my 6th grade math teacher (back in the 60s) told about Thomas Edison... don't have any idea as to whether it's true or not.

Edison hired a mathematician to calculate the volume of a light bulb. After two weeks, the mathematician hadn't quite come up with the answer. So Edison filled the bulb with water, poured the contents into a beaker and checked the scale. Can't say it was that accurate, but still a nice story.

-Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

You know Marv that would make a good "Sig line" if I were into such. (like a few on here :-) ) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

How about: Constipated mathematicians work it out with a pencil! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Actually it was probably more accurate, as getting and using enough dimensions to characterize what was probably not a simple or regular shape would be a real pain.

Reply to
cs_posting

A^2 +B^2 -C^2 = 0

Reply to
cavelamb himself

looks like algebra

Reply to
Ignoramus20633

That's not algebra. That's geometry.

Reply to
Steve Austin

That is Algebra.

Geometry is the angle that distends B is a , that distends A is b. When the length of A=B then a=b and the angle of a or b = 45 degrees.....

There is(are) a trig version(s)

There are other math versions as well.

Martin

Mart> >>> Bob La L>>>

Martin H. Eastburn

No, actually. He's solving a geometry problem, but he set up an algebraic equation.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

It's only an approximate solution to the guy wire problem because a hanging wire forms a catenary not a straight line, so the actual wire will end up being somewhat longer.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

As a math problem it's inaccurate but as an engineering solution it tells you the minimum wire length. Then add 10% for the end fittings etc. Different mindset.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Uh, guys?

A^2 + B^2 = C^2 solves for the AREA of the Hypotenuse Squared...

Sqrt(A^2 + B^2) = C gives the length of the Hypotenuse. or, more familiar arrangement C= Sqrt(A^2 + B^2)

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself