Appraisal guidelines

A while back, someone posted a few suggestions for appraising a collection, as in Joe Schmoe's widow wants to get rid of the closet full of guns her husband shot and hunted with. I did something like this a few years ago and was a bit put out when they sold it all to someone else without asking if I was interested in any of it.

What I remember about the post was that there were some guidelines for an agreement about how the appraiser would be compensated for his effort.

Anybody remember this?

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

I don't remember this. Do you subscribe to the cruffler list?

Don't feel bad, I apraised a widows husbands machine shop, made an offer on one item. Bid that exact amount at the auction and lost out to the only other bidder, someone that wanted it just a bit more than I did.

Why does Fladermyer guide stick in my head? I can't seem to google it at the moment. Am I thinking of something not related?

From your question, I'm going to assume you are not a professional appraiser or you would already know the answer.

Wes

Wes

I wasn't having a senior moment.

Wes

Wes

moment. Am

Flaydermans is a good base reference. However regional differences will make a huge difference in price.

A lever action 3030, no matter what vintage, will get less money in California (and most of the West) than one will in the East.

A Remington 600 in 350 Remington wont collect the same amount of money in the West as it will in the Midwest

A heavy barreled 22-250 wont sell for as much in New Jersey as it will in Nevada or Aridzona.....and so forth.

Flaydermans is a good guide for "antiques"..but its not the whole story.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yes.

I made the same post there, in rec.guns and in Dutch's Tea Room.

one item. Bid

moment. Am

Dunno, I have an older Flayderman's guide, but that's mostly antiques. I'll look through it to see if there's anything on appraisal etiquette.

or you would

Nope, just one of the local gun guys.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Maybe you=92re thinking of this post started by RogerN on 07/12/09:

Denis G.

the moment. Am

I always wanted a Winchester lever action saddle gun. But in a 44-40 caliber rather than 30.30.

Reply to
cavelamb

the moment. Am

Ill see if I can find you one. Might cost you $250ish. Cowboy action shooters snag em pretty fast. Now a Marlin in 44 mag, 41 mag or even

357 mag...easier and cheaper to find.

I far and away prefer Marlins btw..if you do a google search..I wrote a

3030 FAQ many years ago that continues to get good reviews..look it up

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

e it at the moment. =A0Am

Just had a glance at your faq. I put it in a tab so I remember to read it later. thanks Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Thanks, what I'm looking for isn't this recent and was from the viewpoint of the amateur appraiser.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

at the moment.  Am

Its 11 yrs old, but I believe it may be helpful.