Auction Addiction

Went to an auction today. Low turnout, mostly old stuff, some definite deals were had. A Bridgeport with a J-head and old Anilam DRO went for $100. Rusty, but intact and the table looked pretty good. I bought a mint condition 300 lb Lindsay sandblaster for $50, some rigger's jacks, some big slings, nine big Williams wrenches, a big wheeled pipe dolly, odds and ends..Wanted to buy a cabinet full of electrodes. There was some expensive rod in there, aluminum, stainless, etc. About half as big as a refrigerator. One other guy was bidding and seemed to know what was in there. I let him have it for $45. The drying cabinet was too big and would have been a PITA to move and store. Now I'm moving some of the stuff from the last auction to make room....

Reply to
ATP*

wayne mak

It's in good working order but I haven't had a chance to use it too much lately. It's out in the garage, which is in the back of the property so I can't go out there while the kids are in the house. I've got the Idealarc

250 set up at work so I can practice stick welding if I have to stay late for a meeting. I just ordered some ESAB Coreweld Ultra 70 dual shield .045 for the big MIG machine, spray transfer with the solid wire is not versatile enough in the shop.
Reply to
ATP*

All great buys. The drying cabinet would have been an easy sale.

Ignoramus21666

Wow, I may have missed it in the thread, I'm looking for a Bridgeport and supris that you can find it for that price. What region are you in?

Reply to
supris

NY- this is the cheapest I've ever seen a J-head go for- there were no machinery dealers at the auction and basically no bidders for that item. I didn't want to get into moving it, storing it, etc. to sell it.

Reply to
ATP*

Reply to
wayne mak

And it's always hard to know how high the other bidder would have gone. I picked up my stuff today, two large jacks I paid for were already taken by one scummy bottomfeeder. The guy also took a whole load of someone else's scaffold frames he did not pay for.

Reply to
ATP*

I don't know. There was nobody there checking what the guy was taking so he just grabbed everything he could. Hopefully they can recover some of the stuff from this character. I've seen small stuff ripped off before but didn't expect four foot long jacks to be stolen.

Reply to
ATP*

Well, I'm not going to hire a lawyer over a $25 purchase. I hope it is pursued with this dirtbag bidder. He's apparently a frequent auction attendee, so he has some incentive to make good with the auctioneer. This is NY, he'd probably have to break in and assault someone with a deadly weapon while taking the stuff to be arrested. The police would say it is a civil dispute, "perhaps he was mistaken".

Reply to
ATP*