Bad crane rigging example - video

"Taking delivery of a brand new outdoor swimming pool, a builder films as a crane operator attempts to hoist the ready-made structure over the new owner's house and into the garden." "...the man behind the lens can be heard to exclaim "watch out for the chimney" as the delicate operation progresses."

Reply to
James Waldby

Emotions getting out of hand...

I hear some bad words...

Ignoramus30422

Not so dire, but I just learned not to side load the boom on a shop crane . The bending moment transferred to the jack base and the outer reservoir tube pulled loose on one side and leaked.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

As near as I can tell, the rigging is just fine, and the crane is plenty big. It appears that someone miscalculated badly when determining the amount of counterweight to install on the crane for the lift.

Reply to
Pete C.

Oopsie.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I had my "shop crane" almost flip over when it was sdieways on an inclined surface. I was barely able to muscle it back to a more stable position.

Ignoramus30422

I am wondering if those cranes could have some kind of an automatic safety system that prevents tipping.

Ignoramus30422

They have computers and alarms, but it's up to the operator to give the computer the correct information and pay attention to what it's saying.

Reply to
Pete C.

They lack much side stability, and frequently people make the mistake of having a swinging load. What you need to do is keep a couple lengths of

2x4 to rest across the shop crane legs and lower the load onto to prevent it from swinging to the side on a slope. You can also use a cargo strap or two to stabilize the load on a shop crane.
Reply to
Pete C.

Yep, this is what I do now.

Ignoramus30422

And a bad sensor could cause a worse condition. The human has to have ultimate control, with the machine just providing warnings for the human to validate.

Reply to
Pete C.

AND

It's more than weight - it's moment.

Which is, I'm sure, what you meant...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Had the operator been watching the guages (digital or analog), he would have known something was wrong before it happened. Either the guy was new (no sense of his machinery yet) or reckless, or the crane malfunctioned. He's no longer wreckless. I mean, he tipped that thing all the way up onto its training wheels!

Did you hear the thrum of the crane change midway, just before the cussfest?

-- Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The thing I saw said it was a computer malfunction. Don't remember where I saw it. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

It is a simple case of the operator booming out past the limits of the machine. He got past the tipping point.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Ignoramus30422" wrote

They do. It's a chart that tells them how much they can lift with the boom within any circle and upward angle. Imagine it this way: Put your elbow on a table. The closer your forearm is to vertical, the stronger you are. When your forearm heads toward the table, you get weaker. Looking at the angle of the boom in relationship to horizontal, it is obvious he was down too far. The final shot of the crane pulled down and laying in a straight line with the load proves it all. Unfortunately, one does not have to know how to run a crane to run a crane. And there are all sorts of valuable information right there in the cab, mainly a chart of loads within a circle of boom angles, and an actual swinging boom indicator to tell the operator what angle he's at. Between the two, any operator will know when he is reaching the parameters of the machine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

wrote

The thing I saw said it was a computer malfunction. Don't remember where I saw it. Karl

What I saw was operator error, and I saw it in the video.

Steve, OSHA certified crane operator, land cranes and offshore drilling platforms

Reply to
Steve B

I agree.

Ignoramus14681

Over all, not too bad, no one hurt. Only crushed the garage roof, crane might have no damage at all. Pool might be history though.....

It did hit the chimney, not sure how.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Part 2..

bigger crane to remove smaller crane from house.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333