Bandsaw question

Hi all, Comming up before too long on the "next project to do" list is a bandsaw I have. It is a few year old (guessing 50's or 60's) Craftsman with 12" wheels and about a 10" throat. I assume that it was originally intended as a wood saw. It is in pretty good shape, just needs a good clean and lube, new blade, maybe a bit of paint touch up and a stand fabricated.

Now the project part. Being utterly incapable of leaving anything as it was, I am thinking of making some better blade guides and adding a variable low speed setup so that I can use this to cut metal, as I cut lots more metal than wood. I happened upon a Dayton variable speed drive. It is older, but very similar to this one that Grainger currently carries:

The specs are very similar, Single phase 110/220, 1/2 HP motor, output is variable from about 700-3800 RPM. I am thinking that the wide output range of this thing would make for a nice drive for the saw, able to dial up just the speed you need and plenty of range to go from metal cutting speeds up through wood cutting speeds without having to do lots of belt shifting, etc.

Considering that this is for "hobby" type duty and that I would be mostly cutting shapes in thinner stock in AL, brass and steel, say less than 1/2" thick, (I have a nice power hacksaw for fat round stuff, etc.), Any opinions as to weather 1/2 HP is enough for a saw like this? Is this a good application for a unit like this, espically considering that I already own it(!) or should I opt for something more conventional?

I appreciate any and all ideas. Thanks, AL A.

Reply to
Al A.

W/o getting out charts, I think the ratio between wood cutting fpm's and steel is at least 10:1. The vari speed doesn't have that much range.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

If the v-speed function is related to a gear reduction process, then the drive should have more power at low speed where you need it for the heavier (steel, etc.) metals. For wood, it might be a bit anemic if your trying to resaw cherry or one of the other denser or gummier woods. Otherwise, don't push, it should work. Since you already own it, why not try it. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

The ratio between wood and tool steel is at least 100:1 and your vari-drive definitely does not have a speed range like that. You are going to need a gearbox or chains and sprockets to get down to 60 SFM from 7500 SFM as used on wood. I am not trying to rain on your parade but just being realistic. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

Thanks for the replies.

I guess you are right, Leigh & Wes. I guess i did not really think that one all the way through. But I suppose If I set the thing up with maybe a high and low range, one for metal and one for wood, it would still give me lots of adjustability in each range. I have not sat down to figure it out yet, but I sort of assumed that I would need to have some intermedeate pulleys to get the thing in the proper blade speed range.

Or for that matter I may even skip the wood capability, as it is not all that important to me. Handy to have perhaps, but not a big desire of mine.

This drive is the type with dual variable pulleys and a wide belt between them, a small version of those found in snowmobiles and on some infinately variable milling machines. It is a pretty neat gadget. I suppose Ron has the right idea, just try it. That is likely what I will end up doing. I own the thing and am just itching to use it for something!

I took a quick look at a few catalogs and flyers last night, and it is interesting that the similar sized vertical bandsaws seem to be listed as having 3/4 or 1 HP motors (though those may be "chinese horsepower") while lots of the ubiquitous 4" asian horizontal metal cutting bandsaws have 1/3 HP motors.

Reply to
Al A.

Reply to
RoyJ

Leigh is right, although I'd disagree somewhat on the woodcutting speed. Many of the smaller bandsaws I've seen cut wood at anywhere from 2500 to 4500 FPM.

He said gearbox or chains for a reason. You can reduce speed with multiple pulleys just as much as with a gearbox, but if you're limited to belts in the final step it's hard to transmit the kind of torque you need for metal cutting. Make that steel cutting - you cut aluminum at wood speeds.

The output specs on that drive look pretty weak.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

[snip]

I saw a 14" rockwell bandsaw with a what looked like a ring gear from a torque converter attached to the lower band wheel. The gent had modified a starter pinion gear to mesh with the ring gear and drive the band saw. I though that was pretty creative.

Since it was an estate sale, I wasn't able to ask how it worked out for him.

Wes

Reply to
clutch