Barn Finds?

Friend from another forum posted this... And it has *some* metalworking
content with the grinding of metal and all...
Ever hear stories of people finding good stuff in old barns and all? Ya
know... Elvis' Harley, Jimmy Hoffa's school ring, etc...
Imagine you're going to live in Portugal. You find a lovely
farmhouse set on a decent plot of land. The place has been
empty for 15 years... You buy it.
While exploring your new property you find a large barn. The
door is padlocked and welded shut and it's all rusted solid.
So you grind the padlock and the welds off and, .. BINGO!

All I can say is I can't wait to hear what the source of the items was...
Purchased... Stolen... Unknown.... etc. Should make for an interesting
story.
Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:

V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill
Wow... Nice "barn" too... *drool*
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
DAMN! That's enough to make a grown man cry! With a good wash job and a little work some of those cars will be ready to drive, I suspect. If the purchaser gets to keep them he/she could probably pay off a good bit of the mortgage. Why can't I ever find anything like that?
Jim Chandler
Reply to
Jim Chandler
My first thought was "YOU CALL THAT A BARN???", followed closely by "HOLY SHIT!!!", followed by "What a bunch of UGLY cars!!" :-)
Wayne
Reply to
NoOne N Particular
Nice finds but it seemed to be all over the net with car enthusiastes about a year ago.
Reply to
David Billington
Sad about Lancia, they used to produce some really good cars from the handling and roadholding point of view but they didn't last. I had a Beta HPE and a Delta Turbo ie, both great driving cars but not long for this world. I spoke to a guy I worked with in Switzerland and he said the joke there was that even the Lancia sales brochures rusted.
JR North wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
Ghosts.... I see Lancia takes the prize for no rustproofing. No surprise there... JR Dweller in the cellar
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Reply to
JR North
Hi Joe,
This thing feels like a hoax, so I did some digging and found that Tom Cotter (contributing editor to Road & Track) did some research too:
It sounds like the original owner was a car dealer in the 70's and 80's. Read the article for a bit more info, but it appears to be pretty much legit so far.
Reply to
Leon Fisk
Sure did, but Snopes had no info...
Very cool. Thank you.
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill
Man I would be thrilled. At that space and as soon as I sold of most of those cars I could afford to equip the shop of my dreams. I bet I could even finance and have space to build a decent sized air plane in there.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Musta been some property to miss that Mongo barn on the walk through ....................
I smell fish .................
Reply to
SteveB
Decent sized airplane like a 737?
Wayne
Reply to
NoOne N Particular
Read the article for a bit more info, but it
I'd like to hear the end report on this. It would be an odd conversation, though ..........
"Honey, let's take a walk and look at our new property."
"'What's this, a barn?"
"I never noticed that before."
"I wonder why it wasn't in the realtor's description..."
The tiny url was neat, and what a find. I'm just not 100% convinced of the story or circumstances.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
I believe you have come up with the next Internet tall tale.
As an aside, though, I knew a guy who advertised that he would clear out basements, garages, and attics. Very reasonable, of course. In some cases, when he went to look, it was garbage, so the price was for hauling. In others, there were treasures involved, and the man was paid to haul them away. He did pretty good on ebay for quite a while. Then he moved.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
" That barn is an eyesore, call the demolition guy and have him tear it down and haul away all the stuff inside."
John
Reply to
john
--Speaking of barn finds I went for a drive with a friend to get a pump I needed and, in the old barn, I found a Bantam press brake rusting away. Gotta grab that fer sure!
Reply to
steamer
It happens all the time. A friend of mine does cleanouts and he is always finding good stuff in the junk. Brand new snow blowere, lawn mowers. He called me the other day about some machinery he cleaned out of a plant. I grabbed two of the pieces and sold one to a guy I knew that was looking for a brake press 150/225 ton mechanical Chicago. Im keeping the #4 vertical knee mill. Mastermill made it and the ways are wider and better than a cincinatti.
John
Reply to
john
Mastermill? Thats a Gorton.