Barn Finds?

Friend from another forum posted this... And it has *some* metalworking content with the grinding of metal and all...

Ever hear stories of people finding good stuff in old barns and all? Ya know... Elvis' Harley, Jimmy Hoffa's school ring, etc...

Imagine you're going to live in Portugal. You find a lovely farmhouse set on a decent plot of land. The place has been empty for 15 years... You buy it.

While exploring your new property you find a large barn. The door is padlocked and welded shut and it's all rusted solid.

So you grind the padlock and the welds off and, .. BINGO!

All I can say is I can't wait to hear what the source of the items was... Purchased... Stolen... Unknown.... etc. Should make for an interesting story.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Wow... Nice "barn" too... *drool*

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

DAMN! That's enough to make a grown man cry! With a good wash job and a little work some of those cars will be ready to drive, I suspect. If the purchaser gets to keep them he/she could probably pay off a good bit of the mortgage. Why can't I ever find anything like that?

Jim Chandler

Reply to
Jim Chandler

My first thought was "YOU CALL THAT A BARN???", followed closely by "HOLY SHIT!!!", followed by "What a bunch of UGLY cars!!" :-)

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Nice finds but it seemed to be all over the net with car enthusiastes about a year ago.

Reply to
David Billington

Reply to
David Billington

Reply to
JR North

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hi Joe,

This thing feels like a hoax, so I did some digging and found that Tom Cotter (contributing editor to Road & Track) did some research too:

It sounds like the original owner was a car dealer in the

70's and 80's. Read the article for a bit more info, but it appears to be pretty much legit so far.
Reply to
Leon Fisk

Sure did, but Snopes had no info...

Very cool. Thank you.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Man I would be thrilled. At that space and as soon as I sold of most of those cars I could afford to equip the shop of my dreams. I bet I could even finance and have space to build a decent sized air plane in there.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Musta been some property to miss that Mongo barn on the walk through ....................

I smell fish .................

Reply to
SteveB

Decent sized airplane like a 737?

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Tom

Read the article for a bit more info, but it

I'd like to hear the end report on this. It would be an odd conversation, though ..........

"Honey, let's take a walk and look at our new property."

"'What's this, a barn?"

"I never noticed that before."

"I wonder why it wasn't in the realtor's description..."

The tiny url was neat, and what a find. I'm just not 100% convinced of the story or circumstances.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I believe you have come up with the next Internet tall tale.

As an aside, though, I knew a guy who advertised that he would clear out basements, garages, and attics. Very reasonable, of course. In some cases, when he went to look, it was garbage, so the price was for hauling. In others, there were treasures involved, and the man was paid to haul them away. He did pretty good on ebay for quite a while. Then he moved.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

" That barn is an eyesore, call the demolition guy and have him tear it down and haul away all the stuff inside."

John

Reply to
john

--Speaking of barn finds I went for a drive with a friend to get a pump I needed and, in the old barn, I found a Bantam press brake rusting away. Gotta grab that fer sure!

Reply to
steamer

It happens all the time. A friend of mine does cleanouts and he is always finding good stuff in the junk. Brand new snow blowere, lawn mowers. He called me the other day about some machinery he cleaned out of a plant. I grabbed two of the pieces and sold one to a guy I knew that was looking for a brake press 150/225 ton mechanical Chicago. Im keeping the #4 vertical knee mill. Mastermill made it and the ways are wider and better than a cincinatti.

John

Reply to
john

Mastermill? Thats a Gorton.