Battery leakage cleanup

Greetings. I have a Nikon flash that had batteries left in it. It cleaned up very nicely except one piece that has recessed contacts. I can't get to them to mechanically clean them. Does anyone know of a chemical process that will clean them up? They are in plastic and probably plated brass. Thanks, John

Reply to
John D. Farr

To clean the bloom on car battery terminals I used baking soda (bi carbinate soda)mixed in some hot water and just pour it over the terminals,it dissolves the deposits. This may work in your situation but maybe would be better to use a cotton tip dipped in the solutionand applied to the affected area.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Vinegar or other mild acid (citric etc) will clean up much of the residue after alkaline batteries leak (dunno what battery type you used).

If the leakage took place a while ago (equipment left in a drawer/closet for months), it's fairly likely that the liquid ooze from the batteries has wicked along any wires connected to the battery terminals. The liquid can travel inside stranded wire by a capillary action, destroying the copper wire in time. I've seen many instances of this type of internal damage.

To be thorough, the unit should be opened to examine the extent of the contamination, cleaned and/or repaired a required.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I had a very nice Ricoh flash unit damaged this way. I never found a solution (pun accidental)

Reply to
RBnDFW

depending on battery brand, there may be an anti-leak warranty - this warranty is why I stick to the major brand batteries for anything except disposable flashlights - it's not that the batteries don't leak, it's that when they do, the Mfgr will fix your unit, replace it, or give you some $ for your damaged goods.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Were plated brass, more likely. Best thing you can do is split the case on the flash and mop out the residue. What you use to neutralize the electrolyte depends on what leaked. Alkalines and nicads both will need a dilute acid. I say to split the case because that stuff wicks up into the attaching wires and will eventually eat the wires, leaving a hollow tube full of crap. Had that happen on a light meter once. Wire looked perfectly OK from the outside, inside was nothing conductive. And with the plating gone, the contacts will be nothing but rough pitted brass that will tarnish and won't be that conductive after mopping off the crap. You'll need to sand them off to get some bright metal to make up with the battery terminals.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

If you can get to bright brass, the next step is to put a dab of leadfree solder (silver-loaded is best) on the brass. It'll take an acidic flux to make a good bond, you might want to practice on scraps before the main event.

Reply to
whit3rd