Beckman HV-211 High Voltage probe?

Making sure nobody else will touch it. I make sure all helpers in HV projects can shut things down themselves without needing help.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

And the insulation on the alligator clip is nowhere near good enough to hold off 22 KV, which can jump an inch in dry air.

Approach 2 is more than dangerous, it's sure to kill.

Yes. The alligator clip goes to ground (~earth). Period. But make it _solid_.

The problem with probing is that one's hand can slip. With a TV tube, the stored energy probably won't kill. A 1 mike, 22KV capacitor is quite another thing. There are no second chances, even for cats.

I would wire things up with no HV, then creep the power up with a variac and see how it goes, without touching anything, then disconnect power and walk away for an hour.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn