Better sales: Black Friday or January?

Awl --

I'd guess January would have the better sales, but don't know for sure. I'd guess the second week of January would be even better, from all the returns, etc.

I'm thinking along the lines of power tools, appliances, etc. Heh, mebbe cnc??? :)

Inventory/selection would certainly be better on black friday.... plus a lot more elbow-throwing.... Remember last year some Walmart employee got trampled or sumpn? goodgawd....

Any opinions? Data? Strategies?

Reply to
Existential Angst

If last year is anything to go by (at least locally) there were way better deals to be had *before* Christmas than after not to mention empty shelves in January.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

IIRC there was an article about 20 miles of ocean filled with empty container ships. Normally busy hauling useless cheap CRAP for Christmas, but not much to fill the shelves this year. Seems the stores are cutting back on filing the shelves with JUNK anticipating slow sales.

So, It may be that there will be empty shelves after all. They have to catch on eventually on how much Garbage to try to dispose of on us.

Reply to
Half-nutz

I suspect that "gift cards" has changed the way this works.

Years ago there used to be great deals after the Holidays. I think that the retailers run their prices back up afterwards now, hoping that gift card recipients will use them, paying the full freight. That's my take...

Reply to
Leon Fisk