Bolt Action or Double Rifle!

This is a question for all you Dangerous Game and African Safari Hunters out there.

Which is your preference in an overall Dangerous Game Rifle?

Would you choose a Classic Bolt Action rifle in one of the big bore caliber? .375 H&H on up?

Or would you go for one of the expensive Double Barrell Big Bore rifles?

The common arguments are that Bolt Actions tend to be stronger have greater accuracy and versatility while the doubles are more reliable in a dangerous situation.

Would love to hear your view.

Carmelo

Hunting and Shooting Forums Internet Portal for Firearms Enthusiasts. snipped-for-privacy@worldshooter.com

Reply to
carmelo

A Browning Automatic? Certainly less sporting, but definitely safer.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Your experience with hunting and wildlife seems to be ...limited...

Riiiight. Crawl back under your bridge, Stan.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you were a real man you would be more interested in giving the animal a fighting chance than your own safety. Just stay in the land rover if you are so worried. I think a real man would limit himself to a bow, and not a high tech one at that. I say if you can't make it youself with natural materials your cheating.

stan

Reply to
stanley baer

Yeah, they're just cuddly little bears, Stan. Why don't you go play with them and tell us how that goes.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

How do you identify black bear scat ? By all the all the twigs and seeds

How do you idenfity Griz scat ? By all the cow bells and mace spray cans....

ba-dum-dum.

Gotta go oil my Remmington 338 Win Mag, bought for Arctic trips. Gramps wouldn't approve, he apprenticed at Anson & Deley and ran the gun shop at an establishment that catered to white hunters. He thought thought that autoloaders were a crime. He liked doubles.

These days, I say single shot, maybe a Ruger No. 1.

Reply to
Al Dykes

There is quite a number of things on the NA continent that would love to savage you. Wild boar, mountain lion, just to name two.

Btw..I do hunt with a bow on occasion. Ive hunted wild boar with a homemade boar spear too. Shrug

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Gunner

A bear lover and his girlfriend did just that a year or two back.

The authorities managed to pack out some of the pieces.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Gunner

my preference is to not get near dangerous game.

If I was forced to get near it, I would get some armored vehicle and a heavy machinegun.

Ignoramus14288

I guess it would be pretty limited, there is nothing left on this continent that could hurt you other than a few grizzly and polar bears (no one should be hunting them to begin with) and the neighbourhood dogs. I've found my encounters with wildlife to be pretty one sided, I can shoot them, they can run.

stan

Reply to
stanley baer

The original post was in regards to Africa.

You're safer hunting than you are in many large cities, Stan.

I don't dictate how you waste _your_ time, please don't dictate to me how I waste _my_ time.

Since you obviously have nothing to contribute on the topic, were you planning to go on and on and on for long, or to stop at some point?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Win. Mag

Searcher1

Reply to
AcidBurn

I haven't ever heard of a hunter in N America being killed by a wild animal lately. On the other hand, a hunter shooting himself or getting shot by another hunter is relatively common. Instead of fantasizing about situation in which the the hunted stands a chance of injuring the hunter, maybe a better way to get a surge that adrenaline would be to take up boxing or motorcycle racing; but that would take some real balls.

stan

Reply to
stanley baer

Oh please. If you read the news you hear a small but steady trickle of stories of people (usually hikers and joggers) getting attacked by bear and cougar. Both bear and cougar will usually run away if you yell and wave your arms at them, but if you're close to their children, if they're feeling ornery, if they're acclimated to people (especially bears) or if they're particularly hungry (especially cougar) they'll go after you.

Yes, these days you're probably more likely to get shot than eaten if you're out in the forest during hunting season (particularly if it's close to a city), but that doesn't mean that the critters can't still bite back.

Personally I don't hunt -- my people never did so I didn't learn as a child, and it's pretty time consuming for what you get out of it. None the less I have no problem with people who hunt for food or protection. I think that trophy hunters are a bit lame, particularly folks who go out on a nice safe, sanitary trip with a guide to actually do all the shooting and life-risking. Hunting shouldn't be despised, and we should remember that without our tools we're very attractive prey animals.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It's not your business if those bears are being shot or not, troll.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Neither actually, I prefer a 45-70 lever with the

405 gr solid over a full house charge of 3031.

Reply to
DE

Especially in Wisconsin. Those animals shoot back!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Good taste.

One shot; One Kill (You or the Rhino.)

Reply to
Al Dykes

You're right I guess, if no one actually shoots those bears I don't really care.

stan

Reply to
stanley baer

As my wife's uncle is fond of saying "A real sportsman goes after his game with nought but a loincloth and a hunting knife"

Reply to
Rex B