Bolt Action or Double Rifle!

But since I don't give two wombat farts and a skid-mark about sportsmanship, only landing some venison on the table, I use a rifle...

Reply to
Don Bruder

Something wrong with a Bazooka? ;)

Hunt dangerouis game and you might get eaten.

Hunt VERY dangerous game and their bodyguard might shoot back ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Not easy to hit dangerous game, long time to reload. (IIRC)

exactly... I think that chicken or lamb tastes better than dangerous game, anyway.

Ignoramus14288

DE sez: " Neither actually, I prefer a 45-70 lever with the 405 gr solid over a full house charge of 3031."

Not too well up on your guns are you. 45-70 (??) I doubt you can get any

45-70 ammo short of loading it yourself. Wouldn't what you propose be more accurately termed, "45-full house charge of 3031"?

Bob (gun nuts are appropriately named) Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

On 22 Mar 2005 10:57:00 -0800, the inscrutable jim rozen spake:

I was looking for that video of the buck attacking the hunter when I found this odd story.

I was on the floor in tears the first time I saw Crocodile Dundee, when he had the wild drunks in the pickups fooled into thinking the roos were shooting back. That's one classic flick.

And give me a 4-bore for defense against that angry rhino or bull elephant.

If it's good enough for Henry Bowman, it's good enough for me. (Inside joke.)

======================================================== Was that an African +

or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications ========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well Bob, first off I happen to live and work in grizzly country. And I speak for what I feel is a good "dangerous game weapon"

The guide gun is a great "just in case gun" it is popular among professional guidesin both Alaska and Africa. For a "looking for trouble gun" I'd pack a bolt rifle in any old caliber as long as it starts with a 4.

I've been rolling my own for many a year and have no problem carrying that in bear country. But for those who want tailor mades these have a good rep

But there are lots of other factory 45-70 cartridges still available at most any sporting goods store in this area.

DE

Reply to
DE

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner wrote back on Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:23:12 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

And considering the photographs floating round the net, of what a regulation mule can do to a cougar... when we say "hardass", we mean a "hard ass." Bucked his rider off and tore into the cougar. Kilt him dead. "D-e-a-d, beaten on the rocks ... dead!"

So watch out for wild horses, or other ruminants. Feral pigs aren't exactly Jimmy Dean flavored shmoos on the hoof, if you know what I mean.

Friend of mine was the Great Hunter. She hunted with a bow "for sport" and most time just whistled her deer and then told it to take off. But when it was time for putting meat on the table, well, that was why the good Lord invented 30-30s. And Maglights.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The 45-70 is common as dirt. Even Kmart sells the ammo. Or did. It went through quite a revival about 30 yrs ago.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Though not quite as commonplace as .30-06 ammo, .45-70 "factory" ammo is readily available. "Variants" from .45-70 (e.g., .45-90, .45-110, etc.) are pretty much "roll your own".

-jc-

Reply to
John Chase

Ayup. Though when I was growing up in Northern Michigan, it was a jack light and a .22

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious. michael

Reply to
Gunner

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:26:22 GMT, John Chase wrote:

\ lack Hills Cowboy Action Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point Box of 20 Product #: 860270 Status: Out of Stock, Backorder OK Our Price: $19.99 Average Customer Rating: Top RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop Rating Read the Review(s) Black Hills Cowboy Action Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point Case of 200 (10 Boxes of 20) Product #: 519735 Status: Out of Stock, Backorder OK Our Price: $194.99 Buffalo Bore Ammunition 45-70 Magnum Levergun 350 Grain Jacketed Flat Nose Box of 20 Product #: 637767 Status: Available Our Price: $37.79 Average Customer Rating: Above Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average Rating Read the Review(s) Buffalo Bore Ammunition 45-70 Magnum Levergun 405 Grain Jacketed Flat Nose Box of 20 Product #: 346246 Status: Available Our Price: $37.79 Buffalo Bore Ammunition 45-70 Magnum Levergun 430 Grain Lead Long Flat Nose Box of 20 Product #: 565677 Status: Available Our Price: $38.79 Average Customer Rating: Top RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop Rating Read the Review(s) Buffalo Bore Ammunition 45-70 Magnum Levergun 500 Grain Full Metal Jacket Flat Nose Box of 20 Product #: 643784 Status: Out of Stock, Backorder OK Our Price: $46.79 CB-10 Cardboard Ammo Box with Styrofoam Tray 20-Round 270,

30-06, 45-70 White Box of 25 Product #: 679488 Status: Available Our Price: $9.98 Average Customer Rating: Above Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average Rating Read the Review(s) CB-10 Cardboard Ammo Box with Styrofoam Tray 20-Round 270, 30-06, 45-70 White Box of 100 Product #: 371634 Status: Available Only 5 Available! Our Price: $29.29 Average Customer Rating: Below Average RatingBelow Average Rating Read the Review(s) Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 45-70 Government 300 Grain Speer Hot-Cor Soft Point Box of 20 Product #: 318332 Status: Available Our Price: $22.49 Average Customer Rating: Top RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop Rating Read the Review(s) Grizzly Ammunition 45-70 Government +P 350 Grain Hawk Bonded Core Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20 Product #: 536260 Status: Available Only 3 Available! Our Price: $39.95 Average Customer Rating: Top RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop Rating Read the Review(s) Grizzly Ammunition 45-70 Government +P 350 Grain Hawk Bonded Core Jacketed Flat Point Box of 20 Product #: 415730 Status: Available Only 3 Available! Our Price: $39.95 Grizzly Ammunition 45-70 Government +P 400 Grain Hawk Bonded Core Jacketed Flat Point Box of 20 Product #: 899044 Status: Available Our Price: $39.95 Grizzly Ammunition 45-70 Government +P 405 Grain Cast Performance Lead Wide Long Nose Gas Check Box of 20 Product #: 465051 Status: Available Our Price: $36.95 Grizzly Ammunition 45-70 Government +P 420 Grain Cast Performance Lead Wide Long Nose Gas Check Box of 20 Product #: 418155 Status: Available Our Price: $36.95 Grizzly Ammunition 45-70 Government +P 460 Grain Cast Performance Lead Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Box of 20 Product #: 295290 Status: Available Only 3 Available! Our Price: $36.95 Lancer Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point Box of 20 Product #: 390212 Status: Available Only 2 Available! Our Price: $17.99 Average Customer Rating: Top RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop Rating Read the Review(s) Lancer Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point Case of 200 (10 Boxes of 20) Product #: 833991 Status: Out of Stock, Backorder OK Our Price: $161.99 Average Customer Rating: Above Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average Rating Product #: 112654 Status: Available Our Price: $4.30 PMC Silver Ammunition 45-70 Government 350 Grain Flat Nose Soft Point Box of 20 Product #: 362657 Status: Available Our Price: $19.09 Average Customer Rating: Above Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average Rating Read the Review(s) PMC Silver Ammunition 45-70 Government 350 Grain Flat Nose Soft Point Case of 500 (25 Boxes of 20) Product #: 134656 Status: Available Only 2 Available! Our Price: $428.99 PMC Cowboy Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Flat Point Box of 20 Product #: 113069 Status: Out of Stock, Backorder OK Our Price: $11.29 PMC Cowboy Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Flat Point Case of 500 (25 Boxes of 20) Product #: 435426 Status: Out of Stock, Backorder OK Our Price: $324.99 Remington Express Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Jacketed Soft Point Box of 20 Product #: 376119 Status: Available Our Price: $17.49 Average Customer Rating: Above Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average Rating Read the Review(s) Ultramax Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point Box of 20 Product #: 605645 Status: Out of Stock, Backorder OK Our Price: $16.89 Ultramax Ammunition 45-70 Government 405 Grain Lead Round Nose Flat Point Case of 200 (10 Boxes of 20) Product #: 164227 Status: Out of Stock, Backorder OK Our Price: $168.89 Winchester Super-X Ammunition 45-70 Government 300 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20 Product #: 269092 Status: Available Our Price: $22.49 Average Customer Rating: Top RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop Rating Read the Review(s) Winchester Super-X Ammunition 45-70 Government 300 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Case of 200 (10 Boxes of 20) Product #: 520572 Status: Available Only 1 Available! Our Price: $212.99 Winchester Supreme Ammunition 45-70 Government 300 Grain Partition Gold Box of 20 Product #: 580818 Status: Closeout Special Our Price: $31.99 Average Customer Rating: Top RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop RatingTop Rating Read the Review(s) Winchester Supreme Ammunition 45-70 Government 300 Grain Partition Gold Case of 200 (10 Boxes of 20) Product #: 176858 Status: Closeout Special Only 1 Available! Our Price: $302.99

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious. michael

Reply to
Gunner

Sorry, "DE". I only meant that you should be more specific (as you were) re. cartridge and caliber description. Most of us know the venerable 45-70 Govt. cartridge is still made and that some manufacturers supply "modern" firemarms for this old black powder cartridge. Some aren't aware of this; there is a distinct danger they may get the impression old rifles can handle the new "45-70" ammo.

Case in point: Recently on the target range, an idiot on the next bench was spraying me with lead shavings and unburnt powder. Just before I got up to leave, he stops and begins looking at (not through) his scope. The cross hair and post reticle was laying on the bottom. Excessive recoil from hot handloads in a new 45-70 had wrecked the scope. The idiot said he was using handloads he got from a friend that loaded the 45-70 up to some super big-game power.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

That's one reason why I like my .30-06 so much: Chances of *EVER* finding myself short of available ammo are, realistically, somewhere between "slim" and "you GOTTA be joking, right?" Maybe if an apocalypse scenario like "Mad Max" or "The Postman" were to develop, but I don't see that being too likely.

Sounds like the .45-70 is pretty much the same concept. Our Wal-mart has 'em, right alongside the pile of .30-06 rounds that come in multiple weights from multiple makers, and like the .30-06, they have several "flavors" of .45-70 available within easy eyeball range.

Booze, smokables (tobacco, pot or both), twinkies, .30-06 & .45-70 ammo, and 12 ga. 2-3/4" plastic 00 buck shells...

The barter goods of choice for the coming apocalypse! :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

No offense taken, I should be a little more articulate when responding.

Son in law went after a grizzly last fall with a .338mag. He shot maybe at

75yds broke both shoulders but the bruin still charged. The guide stopped it with a couple out of a 375h&h. It fell at spitting distance. A month after he got back he sold his 44mag, I asked why and his reason was that he got it for bear and now he felt it would be worthless..if needed.........after the last bear his third griz.

I found some spent 45-70 cases a while a ago without headstamps circa pre 1880. Very thin walled with rolled heads, (metal content) a lot lighter than modern types. These guys at garrett are big on the guide gun, I think their african tales are pushing it a bit:

DE

Reply to
DE

Gotta have a few cans full of it, yes. Although LC National Match would be hard to part with, in any circumstance except, well, a match.

Yup.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The Best sellers are .22lr, 12 ga, and 3030

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious. michael

Reply to
Gunner

Walmart, to its credit, carries a few calibers that I consider to be somewhat "oddball", such as 7mm rem mag. They charge a lot of money for them, comparatively speaking. I consider it an anomaly.

I find practicing with calibers larger than Mosin-Nagant (about equivalent to 30-06), to be too painful, physically and financially. My 7mm rem mag rifle sees very little use because of ammo cost and painful recoil. Which is a pity, since it is superbly accurate and has a very flat trajectory.

Ignoramus25277

Its greatly regional. 7 Maggie is common as dirt in the West. Probably every bit as common or more than the 06 in many places out here in "horizon is 80 miles away" country.

That's why we who shoot a couple hundred rounds or more a year , handload. I can load a box of tuned, highly accurate 7mms for about $4.00 or less. Or, much less than a dime for most of the belted magnum loads that use cast bullets.

Even the 375 H&H and larger cartridges are less than .40 cents each using the high end bullets and more expensive powders.

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious. michael

Reply to
Gunner

My grandfather shot a bear in his pajamas. How the bear got into his pajamas defies explanation.

Reply to
ff

22LR, or 22 magnum?

Jim