Boring Head Method - Taper Turning Method

Coaxial indicator works great.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beel

I meant to write "show up".

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sure, on a new lathe. My SB 10L suffered the abuse of trade school students from 1965 to 1991 and every alignment test gives a different result. I have to take and measure several light finish cuts to sneak up on the proper diameter.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

yes, you can, and it is even easier with a "Blake Co-Ax", since you can lay the anti-rotation lever against the bed, and start the spindle rotating in back-gear and slowest RPM available. Then you watch the needle wiggle (with the face facing you all the time) as you adjust the tailstock offset screws to a minimum wiggle. (A brand new high quality lathe will have the tailstock center slightly above the headstock center to allow from wear. For a long time, it will wear towards even better before it starts getting worse. (And a very slight vertical offset won't make much difference in the workpiece diameter, especially if the workpiece diameter is 0.250" or greater.

And the Blake Co-Ax works well with perhaps 10-12" between headstock collet or chuck and tailstock ram socket.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

But they did show up, slack time so they did their work and still had time for "inspection".

Reply to
Gerry