Brazing Cga580 argon fitting to cga30 co2

I tried to use a white coated brass colored 3ft rod I use on steel a lot, but it turned out horrible. Clumpy, hole filled,pitted, and very poorly flowing. It seems the rod was ok, but the white coating was the wrong flux for brass.

StaySilv 15 (35,000 psi tenile max.) is not strong enough (for me), for a butt fitting of two gas fittings back to back subject to up to

2000 psi with an internal area approaching 1" sq.

Soooooo, should I have used a different rod? Like the blue bernzomatic?

Reply to
benwoodward.com

Brazing anything back to back that must hold 2000# seems like an accident waiting to happen to me. I'd look for a mechanically strong way to make a joint

Reply to
GMasterman

Purchase the correct CGA adapters with NPT threads from Western Enterprises, or use silver solder like handy and harmon's ez-flow45 with borax flux.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

A friend of mine did something like that once. He cobbled up an adapter between a nitrogen tank and a regulator he had. It blew apart while he was adjusting the regulator.

The surgeons were able to reassemble his right hand, but it will never work normally again.

Don't mess around with high pressure gas. Use the correct fittings.

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

This was the conclusion I came to. Fitting is on its way. However, I still have no idea why my white flux coated rod loves steel, but hates brass (it just bubbles full of pinholes), even though it looks like brass. The brazng rod worked about as well as trying to tig weld brass around a ball of green 'plasma'.

Reply to
benwoodward.com

Well...I would suspect you're more trying to weld than braze...considering the rod may well melt hotter than the bronze...LOL

If the flux isn't working you can try borax.

Tim

Tim Williams