Cable lift capacity

I was given two gear drive (manual) basketball goal lifters. They consist of two gears, one on a drive spindle and one on the drum. These look substantial, and came with 1/4" wire rope cable. They are Aalco A3 K500 hand winches.

I want to use the two of them as a boat lift for my 16' aluminum boat and motor. I would estimate it at 1500-1700#, if that much.

I am going to basket rig it, deadmanning the hoist, going through two pulleys, one at each end of a spreader bar, then up to a deadman on the lifting beam. Under the spreader bar will be a 3" (approx.) nylon ratchet strap that will cradle the underside of the boat front and rear. I want to lift it just enough, about 6-12" so I can pull the trailer out and paint it, work on the trailer, and do some work on the underside of the boat.

I have looked at these closely, and see no load rating. Went to their site and requested a catalog that might have this info.

Is anyone familiar with these?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a PEC 020 worm geared strap hoist rated for 1500 Lbs, which is so inefficient that it takes at least 3x the effort as a Jet lever chain hoist the same size. Part of it is the need to apply full force all the way around. It's even difficult to turn to lower the load. Naturally I disassembled and greased it, which helped a little.

Personally I would spring for a chain hoist. I've had good results from a 2 ton Chinese one like this:
At 30 lbs it's about the max I want to maneuver on or off an overhead eye with one hand, while the chains are swinging and I'm holding the ladder with the other hand.

It's good for more than vertical hoisting. Its last use was winching out the trunk of a ~20" diameter oak that had fallen against another and jammed. Unlike a lever chain hoist you can operate them without having your feet under a large suspended load.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

pic of winch, which I called factory, and it is 600# capacity.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B